Chipsee 7" cap touchscreen v1 Expansion for BBB dtbo

Hi Guys,

I’ve searched the net to try and find a device tree overlay for the Chipsee 7" capacitive touch screen expansion. It seems one does not exist yet. How would I go about finding out if my Linux distro and kernel (Angstrom 31-07-2013, 3.8.13) has the driver for the touch controller and LCD built in? The touch controller is the FocalTech FT5X06 and the LCD panel is the Innolux AT070TN83 or the EJ070NA-01J, the LCD is interfaced to the DS90C385 chip with 24bits/lines between it and the BBB. I have all the datasheets and schematics and even found a linux driver for the FT5X06 but it sounds like it should already be in the kernel.

I’m planning on using an existing 7" LCD DT as a template and modifying it with my settings and pinouts but not sure what to use in the “compatible” field in the DT for the various components as I don’t know what the internal linux reference is for the touch controller and the LCD

I am no expert when it comes to linux so correct me if I’m wrong in my approach, and please help me if I’m correct!

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I've searched the net to try and find a device tree overlay for the Chipsee
7" capacitive touch screen expansion. It seems one does not exist yet. How
would I go about finding out if my Linux distro and kernel (Angstrom
31-07-2013, 3.8.13) has the driver for the touch controller and LCD built
in? The touch controller is the FocalTech FT5X06 and the LCD panel is the
Innolux AT070TN83 or the EJ070NA-01J, the LCD is interfaced to the DS90C385
chip with 24bits/lines between it and the BBB. I have all the datasheets
and schematics and even found a linux driver for the FT5X06 but it sounds
like it should already be in the kernel.

Your biggest problem is going to be wether the driver has device tree support
in it. No support, and you would have to add the support in order to use DT.

I'm planning on using an existing 7" LCD DT as a template and modifying it
with my settings and pinouts but not sure what to use in the "compatible"

That would come from the driver and what it is looking for.

David

Thanks David,

by compatible do you mean that DT must be able to pass the variables/constants contained in the dtbo to the driver? I'm quite new to this so please elaborate if you can. Also how would I find the driver which is included in my distro to see if it will work?

Is the LCD driver not very generic seeing that the interface is very standard?

Thanks

You said you had already found the driver. You should look at this driver's
source and look for device tree functions - the driver has to request the
parameters from the the device tree. The functions are all of the form
of_*.

David

The driver had some structures with pointers and the "layout" did remind me of DT. This DT thing is beginning to make more sense now... But I will have to brush up on my c programming skills some more...

On the Linux front, how would I know which drivers are already included in my distro? It might be obvious to others but I'm new to Linux...

The driver had some structures with pointers and the "layout" did remind me of DT. This DT thing is beginning to make more sense now... But I will have to brush up on my c programming skills some more...

On the Linux front, how would I know which drivers are already included in my distro? It might be obvious to others but I'm new to Linux...

The driver had some structures with pointers and the "layout" did remind me
of DT. This DT thing is beginning to make more sense now... But I will
have to brush up on my c programming skills some more...

As I said earlier, look for functions of the form of_*, that will tell you
that the driver supports DT. No functions, no support.

On the Linux front, how would I know which drivers are already included in
my distro? It might be obvious to others but I'm new to Linux...

That depends on the distro. Go to where you got the binary version, and it
should point you are the relevant source.

David

Hello,
ChipSee 7" LCD + Beaglebone Black + ubuntu 12.04 (3.8.13).
Did you get success to run ChipSee’s 7" LCD with 3.8 kernel??

Thanks.

Hi… did anyone succedd running the chipsee capacitive LCD with new kernels (3.8)?

Me to i’m looking for a distribution that works with the Chipsee capacitive touch, someone has solved with the drivers?
I’m wondering if is possibile to use drivers released with the chipsee dvd kernel image that use argo project and matrix, and how.
Thanks

I already make that it works with kernel 3.8 ubuntu. But the touchscreen I have to do some modifications to the kernel and the buttons works rare, but I already boot with Ubuntu 3.8 LCD BBB-expantion.

Also I got the success to run chipsee’s lcd with 3.8 kernel but not capacitive touch. Resistive touch is working fine.

Hey Kishor,

would you mind posting how you did it? which driver did you use?

Im currently working with the Chipsee LCD 7" capacative Touchscreen and the BBB Rev C.
Unfortunately serial wont work with prebuilt images Chipsee shipped with the expansion board. So im configuring a linux 3.8.13 kernel source to build my own kernel. Which modules do I need to choose?

many thanks

Hi All,

We are using Chipsee LCD touch screen cape with Beagle Bone Black. Can i intergrate this with AM3358 TI SDK (03.02.00.05).
And how to build & test the touch screen module. Can i load any binaries or libraries, and we are using U-Boot (am335x-boneblack_defconfig), Kernel(tisdk-am335x_evm_defocnfig), am335x-boneblack.dts and how to change the dts configuration. Please tel me the steps.

Thanks,
Raghavendra

Y’all ever figure out how to set up the dts

Y’all find out how to set up the DTS? Or atleast what driver to use with it?

Thanks,
John Bentley