Choose kernel to boot BBB

Hi, I have a BBB rev C.

I installed the latest debian image (2015-03-01, Kernel: 3.8.13-bone70) and flashed it to the eMMC. After that, I followed some instructions to install a Preempt kernel.
The guide I followed is this one: http://dev.ardupilot.com/wiki/building-the-code/building-for-beaglebone-black-on-linux/

Apparently, all went well. I only skipped a step where I had to make a backup of a zImage. And that’s one problem, there’s nothing in /boot/uboot/, I can’t find zImage… Is that normal? I thought that zImage was called at boot time to load everything, so where does my BBB boot from?

But the installation of Preempt looks fine.

root@beaglebone:~# ls /lib/modules
3.8.13-bone70 3.8.13-rt9-00899-g6d55dce-dirty

I have the rt folder, but

root@beaglebone:~# uname -a
Linux beaglebone 3.8.13-bone70 #1 SMP Fri Jan 23 02:15:42 UTC 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

i’m still running the old kernel version, how can I boot from the Preempt kernel?

Thanks in advance.

Make sure you set the uname_r variable in:

/boot/uEnv.txt

uname_r=3.8.13-rt9-00899-g6d55dce-dirty

Then make sure:

/boot/dtbs/$(uname -r)/*.dtb
/boot/vmlinuz-$(uname -r)

exist...

Regards,

Thanks for your answer.

I changed that in the uEnv.txt file but now my BBB does not boot. When I power my BBB, the four leds are stationary and they don’t blink as they did before. So maybe, the Preempt kernel is bad installed? or could it be anything else?

I’m sorry, I forgot to tell you in my last comment that I don’t have those files:

/boot/dtbs/$(uname -r)/*.dtb
/boot/vmlinuz-$(uname -r)

Maybe the tutorial I followed is not very up to date, It says nothing about those files so I don’t know where to get them.

Thanks

yeah, it's an old tutorial..

vmlinuz-$(uname -r) = zImage

and just mkdir -p /boot/dtbs/$(uname -r)/

and copy your newly built *.dtb to it..

/boot/ is on the ext4 partition (rootfs)

Regards,