Connecting to BBB running machinekit over SSH

Hi,

I’m trying to connect to my new BBB running machinekit. I’ve installed xubuntu on vmware on my Windows PC. The beaglebone is connected to the PC via USB. I’m trying to SSH in, at which point machinekit asks me for a password. I type ‘machinekit’ and it rejects it. I thought it might be asking for my user password for xubuntu (since it says ‘root@192.168.7.2’s password’), so I’ve tried typing that too. No luck. If I use Putty on Windows I can connect with no problems, using password machinekit. Here’s what appears in the terminal:

lsteele@ubuntu:~$ sudo ssh root@192.168.7.2 -X
Debian GNU/Linux 7

Machinekit Debian Image 2016-06-19

Support/FAQ: http://www.machinekit.io/

default username:password is [machinekit:machinekit]

root@192.168.7.2’s password:
Permission denied, please try again.
root@192.168.7.2’s password:

I’m sure I’m doing something very simple wrong, but I have no idea what. I’m pretty new to Linux!

Any help is gratefully received.

Thanks,

Luke

I haven’t used machinekit, but it is possible that root does not have a passwd, in which case it’d be better to ssh in as the regular user then run su to root.

If it’s rthe same as regular debian images, the user will be debian, and the password will be temppwd.

I think ssh as root user in disabled in recent Debian systems. You’ll have to login as the default machinekit user and then sudo if you need root on the BBB.

Why the sudo ssh from ubuntu?

Also I thought the -X had to be before the user@machine, or at least that is the way I’ve always done it.

try:
ssh -X machinekit@192.168.7.2