Contents of /media/BEAGLEBONE/ disappear after reboot?

I’ve had this problem a few times now: after a reboot, /media/BEAGLEBONE/ is empty. It doesn’t seem to be linked to any particular action; one time it happened immediately after reflashing the eMMC (to the Angstrom 2013.06.20 image). Sometimes it doesn’t happen until I’ve rebooted half a dozen times.

This has been causing me problems. To free up GPIO pins, I’ve been disabling the HDMI framer via /media/BEAGLEBONE/uEnv.txt:

optargs=quiet drm.debug=7 capemgr.disable_partno=BB-BONELT-HDMI,BB-BONELT-HDMIN

Eventually I perform the dreaded reboot that wipes /media/BEAGLEBONE/. I don’t realise this until I try to edit /media/BEAGLEBONE/uEnv.txt, and find that it is no longer there. I’ve tried backing up the contents of /media/BEAGLEBONE/, copying them back onto the BBB via WinSCP, editing uEnv.txt to remove the commands to disable HDMI -

optargs=quiet drm.debug=7

• but when I reboot, HDMI is still disabled:

cat /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/slots

0: 54:PF—
1: 55:PF—
2: 56:PF—
3: 57:PF—
4: ff:P-O-L Bone-LT-eMMC-2G,00A0,Texas Instrument,BB-BONE-EMMC-2G
5: ff:P-O-- Bone-Black-HDMI,00A0,Texas Instrument,BB-BONELT-HDMI
6: ff:P-O-- Bone-Black-HDMIN,00A0,Texas Instrument,BB-BONELT-HDMIN

dmesg shows me the following:

Kernel command line: console=ttyO0,115200n8 quiet drm.debug=7 capemgr.disable_partno=BB-BONELT-HDMI,BB-BONELT-HDMIN root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ro rootfstype=ext4 rootwait

This doesn’t resemble my uEnv.txt; it doesn’t seem to get processed. I don’t know where the kernel is picking up this information at boot-time; my newbieness fails me at this point. But the upshot is that my BBB is stuck in one configuration, without any HDMI. Even if I reflash, /media/BEAGLEBONE/ eventually gets wiped again, and I end up in the same state.

If anyone can help me out I would be really grateful :slight_smile:

Just tested this on a different BBB. Flashed Angstrom 3.8.13, rebooted, /media/BEAGLEBONE/ contained files. Modified uEnv.txt to include capemgr.disable_partno=BB-BONELT-HDMI,BB-BONELT-HDMIN, rebooted, /media/BEAGLEBONE/ was blank.

Would really appreciate some help with this!

So I’ve poked around and have discovered

mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /media/BEAGLEBONE

I guess this doesn’t always get mounted by default?

Hi Ben,
Not sure if this will help or not…but I’ve found sometimes /media/BEAGLEBONE auto-mounts a bit slowly.
Check to see if the disk is mounted (using df is usually my method, but there are plenty of options)…if it isn’t mounted wait a bit and see if it shows up (or be impatient and issue your mount command).

Also I think that someone had an issue at one point with uEnv.txt having a stray newline or something in it which caused their settings to be ignored…unfortunately I can’t remember enough about the problem to properly search the group.
-Dale

If you disable the display, the GUI doesn't run.

If the GUI doesn't run, it won't go around magically auto-mounting
things for you to click on.

Does this only happen when you disable the HDMI output in your uEnv.txt?

- --
Charles Steinkuehler
charles@steinkuehler.net

Well, that’s the thing. Initially I thought it was associated with disabling HDMI, but it’s doesn’t seem to be; I haven’t managed to link it to any particular action of mine. As I said in my first post, one time it happened immediately after I reflashed Angstrom, and rebooted (without touching uEnv.txt, or anything else). Another time it happened after a few reboots (I can’t remember whether or not I’d disabled HDMI).

I’ve added an entry to /etc/fstab/ to mount it though, in my newbieness, I don’t know whether this is a fix or a workaround. Thanks for your reply!

Thanks Dale!

What is the difference between /media/BEAGLEBONE and /media/BEAGLEBONE_ ?

Bill,
It seems that /media/BEAGLEBONE is the first auto-mount location and /media/BEAGLEBONE_ is the 2nd. Note that it is well known in the linux world that devices can move around due to their presence at boot, and apparently the new way to reference disks is by blkid (the blkid utility isn’t installed in the default Angstrom image, but there’s probably something similar…I’m new to Angstrom)
I booted the BBB and then attached a USB card reader with a SD card backup of my eMMC image, and saw both (here are a myriad of ways to check):

root@beaglebone:/# df | grep media

/dev/mmcblk0p1 71133 55239 15894 78% /media/BEAGLEBONE

/dev/sda2 1738184 1093884 554336 67% /media/Angstrom

/dev/sda1 71133 55238 15895 78% /media/BEAGLEBONE_

root@beaglebone:/media# ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/

total 0

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jan 1 00:02 Angstrom → …/…/sda2

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jan 1 00:02 BEAGLEBONE → …/…/sda1

root@beaglebone:/media# mount -l | grep BEAGLEBONE
/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/BEAGLEBONE type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,flush,errors=remount-ro) [BEAGLEBONE]
/dev/sda1 on /media/BEAGLEBONE_ type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,flush,errors=remount-ro) [BEAGLEBONE]

So in my case:
/dev/mmcblk0p1 (eMMC) labelled BEAGLEBONE was mounted at /media/BEAGLEBONE
/dev/sda1 (SDcard in USB reader) labelled BEAGLEBONE was mounted at /media/BEAGLEBONE_

-Dale

The confusing thing is that the first (boot) partition /dev/mmcblk0p1 may or may not show up mounted on the BBB. However, it should always show on your desktop if you use the USB cable to both power up and talk to the BBB. You can edit the uEnv.txt from the desktop over the USB filesystem.

I find sometimes that USB filesystem doesn’t connect/appear when I connect it.
Or it does but the Ethernet over USB doesn’t.