Contributing to Beagleboard (GSoC 2015)

Hello Everyone,

I am Naman, a 3rd year ECE student. I have been working on programming and interfacing peripherals to microcontrollers (8051, AVR, Cortex m4) over the past 2 years. I have experience programming in embedded C and assembly.

I was taking a look at the ides page for GSOC 2015 and found the project “Using BeagleBone PRUs to control CNC and 3D printer stepper motor Drivers” to be very interesting. I would like to contribute towards building the PRU assembly code with integration into the Linux kernel for the above project.

I would like to know how I should get started contributing to Beagleboard.org and participating in GSoC 2015.

Thanks for any help, in advance !

Naman

Hello Naman,

You can have a look at the MachineKit project (http://blog.machinekit.io) for more information on existing CNC hardware infrastructure available for the BeagleBone. Currently there is support for using a variety of these CNC hardware with the BeagleBoard but it should still give you a general idea of where contributions can be done.

I suggest that you familiarize yourself with how the PRU works, kernel programming and have a look at the projects on the PRU that were done last year. This will help you get up to speed.

There is another PRU project idea which should be up on the GSoC Ideas page for discussion with developers and prospective students as well. Keep visiting the GSoC Ideas page and subscribe to the BeagleBoard user group as well so that you don’t miss anything.

Regards

Thank You ! Kumar Abishek. I will surely take a look at the resources that you mentioned. By another PRU project on the ideas page, are you referring to one of these projects ?

1. PRU upstreaming
  2. PRU firmware loader
  3. Program PRU using high level scripting language

​Not these. There's another idea which has been put up just now.

Okay, I see it now. Looks interesting ! :slight_smile:

Hey Naman,

Have a look at the PRU bridge project on the page. As of now what we are trying to do is to make a generic interface which will enable communication between the PRU and the Linux kernel. Once that kernel is upstream, ‘N’ number of application can be built on that.

Thanks
Deepak Karki

Hey Naman,

Have a look at the PRU bridge project on the page. As of now what we are trying to do is to make a generic interface which will enable communication between the PRU and the Linux kernel. Once that kernel is upstream, ‘N’ number of application can be built on that.

• I meant kernel driver

Hi Deepak Karki,

I was taking a look at the PRU bridge project and I found it to be very interesting !
I would definitely like to work on it.

Naman

Hello,

I am an ECE student from NIT durgapur and would like to work on a BeagleBone project for GSoC 2015. I have prior experience in working with BB Black, during mu summer inter at IIT Guwahati. I have built an autonomous bot that can communicate with other bots and perform a task. I had worked with the PWM, ADC and PRU modules. Please guide me on how to proceed for GSoc.
Thank you.

Please don’t hijack threads. Once we read a thread for the first time, we won’t read it again unless we want to follow-up on that subject. Hijacking a thread is a great way to be ignored.