Creating an image of a remote BBB's eMMC via the network?

Good evening all,

I have a BeagleBone black that has been controlling a remote site for the past 12 months and in that time various incremental improvements to the scripts and programs originally deployed on it have been made.

I’d like to make a new image/snapshot of the eMMC to safely archive the changes, but it seems the uSD interface has died(!) … I can’t mount any uSD cards and the trusty /opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/beaglebone-black-make-microSD-flasher-from-eMMC.sh dies with:

!==> Error: [/dev/mmcblk0] does not exist

I can’t physically access the device - it’s in another country. Is there a utility/technique that lets me make an image of a its live filesystem and any dependencies it has across the network? I can login via SSH - can I use dd (etc) to extract the eMMC contents and do …something… to the network stream to assemble an image file I could reflash …somehow..?

Any assistance would be gratefully received - I can’t help but think Murphy is waiting until I need it most to crash my Beagle before I manage to create a contemporary backup!

James

root@bbb:/home/debian# cat /etc/dogtag
BeagleBoard.org Debian Buster IoT Image 2020-04-06

root@bbb:/home/debian# uname -a
Linux bbb 5.4.209-bone65 #1buster SMP PREEMPT Tue Sep 13 10:24:54 UTC 2022 armv7l GNU/Linux

sounds like a job for netcat (nc) something like this

https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-copy-compressed-drive-image-over-network.html

on the host pipe the output to a file rather than a device.