Cross-compiling SDL 1.2 for BBB.

Hi,

I’ve been trying to setup my cross-compile tool chain for programming on the BBB through a Linux Mint box with Eclipse running in VMPlayer. So far I’ve been able to configure almost all the needed components properly to cross-compile and deploy using g+±4.8-arm-linux-gnueabihf (for some reason the non ‘hf’ version doesn’t work-- I admit I am still trying to differentiate between the various flavors of arm out there that are represented by the compilers).

However, I can’t seem to quite get/find a cross-complied version of the SDL lib (I know SDL2) doesn’t work on the BBB.

I found this page with some instructions, but it doesn’t seem to work quite right for me either. Further, I know there is a version of SDL 1.2 that can be apt-get from the BBB itself-- but of course this doesn’t help when wanting to try to cross-compile rather than compile directly on the BBB.

Lastly, though I’ve been able to find some rather easy/straight forward instructions for the Raspberry Pi, I can’t seem to find anything comparable for the Debian version of BB.

Does anyone happen to have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks-

Hi,

I’ve been trying to setup my cross-compile tool chain for programming on the BBB through a Linux Mint box with Eclipse running in VMPlayer. So far I’ve been able to configure almost all the needed components properly to cross-compile and deploy using g+±4.8-arm-linux-gnueabihf (for some reason the non ‘hf’ version doesn’t work-- I admit I am still trying to differentiate between the various flavors of arm out there that are represented by the compilers).

However, I can’t seem to quite get/find a cross-complied version of the SDL lib (I know SDL2) doesn’t work on the BBB.

I found this page with some instructions, but it doesn’t seem to work quite right for me either. Further, I know there is a version of SDL 1.2 that can be apt-get from the BBB itself-- but of course this doesn’t help when wanting to try to cross-compile rather than compile directly on the BBB.

Lastly, though I’ve been able to find some rather easy/straight forward instructions for the Raspberry Pi, I can’t seem to find anything comparable for the Debian version of BB.

Does anyone happen to have any recommendations or suggestions?

Just build natively on the BBB.

‘hf’ signifies hardware floating point, which the Beagle has.

I build SDL1.2 natively on the BBB for BeagleSNES. I use the framebuffer for video, ALSA audio, and the joystick subsystem without any issue. I have not tried the X11 video target because I have only worked with the framebuffer, but there isn’t a reason why it would not work just as well.

There is currently no framebuffer target in 2.0. I have added a rudimentary BeagleBone Black video target to my 2.0 codebase as I continue to work on getting the kinks worked out of the SGX-based OpenGL ES on the framebuffer with the 3.17 kernel. With the features of the BBB still in flux, I would stick with 1.2 for your development for now.

Disable as much of SDL as you can via the configure script when you build natively. I don’t remember having to enable swap to build SDL, though I definitely have to enable it to build BeagleSNES natively. I had to pull in a few dev packages to get the headers that I needed to build SDL, but it has been so long since I have done it that I don’t remember which ones.

Andrew

Take a look at the sdl package for OpenEmbedded, it's always a good
place to reference for cross compiling quirks.

https://github.com/openembedded/oe-core/tree/master/meta/recipes-graphics/libsdl