Developing in Mono from Windows on my BBB

I have heard of people that have managed to develop in C/C++ from a Windows workstation and execute it on a BBB. Is there a way to do something similar (write the program, compile it, run it on the BBB, see the output) with Mono from a single IDE? Preferably Visual Studio or Eclipse?

Building a mono program on a Windows (or other) box then running it on the BBB is trivial, except that there are a few pieces of Mono that are not automatically supported on the ARM. Hard float being the one we ran into and had to recompile Mono with a patch.

If you are talking about actually running the program via the IDE in debug mode where the IDE is on one box and the program itself is running on the BBB, I’m told this may be do-able but did not work for me. I tried this over a year ago, so I don’t recall the details, but eventually gave up. I think the issue was that the debugger uses signals in a conflicting way. Check the Mono forum - I think there was some discussion of this.

At the time I was looking at this there was no BBB, just BBW… With the BBB and HDMI you ought to be able to run MonoDevelop directly on the BBB and debug within it.

I am not sure if you mean remote debug or not. But you can have a setup that uses TFTP/NFS ( or even just NFS ) where the cross compile system ( a PC ) builds an executable in a shared directory that the BBB has access to. Then once built the executable could be run directly on the BBB.

As far as remote debugging goes, I have no personal hands on with this yet, but understand that GDB in this context does not work properly yet.

Having had experience with .NET personally, I also sought information on Mono on the distro I chose ( Debian wheezy ), and many of the runtimes seem to be missing. So, I instead chose to learn more about nodejs, and in this context nodejs at least for my own uses seems to be a more complete solution.

Technically as long as the IDE lets you configure the various tools in it, you should be able to use it. For visual studio you would need to own a copy of a professional version ( recent copy ) and write or buy a plugin for it. Otherwise, you could use a makefile project and “rig” it to work. Eclipse is very flexible and should work, but you need to know a bit about how to set that up, and the toolchain you’re using. Personally, I had been using code::blocks for GCC . . . but thats a bit different from Mono. I might work though . . .

I was thinking of rigging something to compile the code and then send the executable over FTP with a script to run it, but I was hoping for a way that would allow me to easily run and debug it remotely. I might have to just go with that if I can’t find another option… there isn’t exactly active support for Mono anymore.

IN that case SMB would probably be best. Then in windows you just map the network drive.

I was thinking of rigging something to compile the code and then send the executable over FTP with a script to run it, but I was hoping for a way that would allow me to easily run and debug it remotely. I might have to just go with that if I can’t find another option… there isn’t exactly active support for Mono anymore.

gdb for this version of ARM as i understand it does not work properly. Perhaps this has changed in the last few months, but I have not personally heard either way.