DPRAM interface with BBB

Hi all,

Is it possible to interface an Asynchronous DPRAM (with 16 address lines and 16 data lines) with BBB?

Is there any block diagram (circuit diagram), which shows the connections, available?

Can we use GPMC_ADO-GPMC-AD15 pins as Address and Data mux pins with GPMC_ADVN_ALE?

Also I think GPMC_Ax pins are not required, since we can use Address-Data multiplexing with ALE signal.

I think all the required pins are coming out in P8 connector.

1. GPMC_ADO-GPMC-AD15

2. GPMC_ADVN_ALE

3. GPMC_WEN

4. GPMC_OEN_REN

5. GPMC_BE1N

6. GPMC_CSN0

But GMC_AD0-GPMC-AD7 are also connected to MMC1_D0 to MMC1_D7. Will this cause any problem to the functoining of DPRAM? Or will the DPRAM functioning cause any problem to MMC1.

Have anybody interfaced DPRAM with BBB? Please share your experience.

Thanks and Regards,

Sajeevan.K

Hi all,

Any comments about the feasibility of DPRAM interface with BeagleBone Black will be highly appreciated? Please…

Thanks & Regards,
Sajeevan.K

It is feasible.

Gerald

It is feasible.

Gerald

Hi Gerald and Jason,

Thank You for the reply.
I got doubt because GPMC_AX lines were utilized for some other purposes. So first I thought that BBB is not designed to have external parallel interface. But later I found that GPMC_AD0-AD16 are freely available and with ALE signal, Data and Address bus can be multiplexed.

Also I think, even though AD0-AD7 lines are connected to MMC1, since Address, Data lines may be connected to many devices, and one particular device will be selected only when its CS signal is active, there won’t be any issues.

Thank You very much.

Thanks & Regards,
Sajeevan.K

I’m kind of late to the post here but I remember Tom King doing some work maybe for a cape years ago, So, I did a quick search, and found this post. Maybe some useful information for you ? https://groups.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/beagleboard/gpmc/QENqyIYTlO0

Hi William,

Thank You for this very useful link.
I am already familiar with Device Tree and Cape Manager.
This link would be very helpful when I am starting my work.
I shall use the same thread for further help from the community.

Thanks & Regards,
Sajeevan.K