Drone cape for BeagleV-Fire

PolarFire SoC platform allow to create a powerful Drone cape with multiple motors control (octocopter) in FPGA fabric, avionics / flight control on one of Risc-V cores , image processing/ML on fabric with communication module on M2 interface.

The drone cape would allow to create a fully functional drone with all sensors IMU, Bar Pressure/Temp, Compass, GPS, ToF and Lidar interface. We also can have battery management/charging via USB-C for a couple sets of 3 x 18650 batteries.

Goal: Drone on Beaglebone

Hardware Skills: Verilog/VHDL, verification, FPGA
Software Skills: Linux, C++,
Possible Mentors: @jkridner

1 Like

We can use the existing Robotics Cape as a starting point and the existing BeagleBone Blue port of ArduPilot.

It is interesting that people just put me as a possible mentor. We really need members of the community to step up to help students reach these goals. We generally have a requirement of 2.5 mentors per student and only 1 student to have an individual as their primary mentor.

Okay so,

I can help in the build process (I think). I have been completely WANTING to fly my BBB or other am335x supported SBCs with ArduPilot, i.e. either a Quad or another form of ground bot for ground movements.

Either way, I have been in their repos for some bit building and making things almost work. I remember there was a fellow from somewhere down south in South America who knew of the build around the BBBlue well enough to even help me with the PRU onboard the BBBlue.

In any light here, I do not know if mentoring is my thing in this realm but…

1. I can support the cause.
  2. Help when people are too busy to supply assistance.
    and…
  3. I can review my notes on building which works to this day, i.e. even with Bookworm.

Seth

P.S. I know too little of the FPGA/PolarFire but if it can adapt to Linux which it can, I may still be of some use. Heads up!

1 Like