`dtc -I fs` on kernel 4.14.108-ti-r144.2 gives Segmentation Fault

Background:

I began with 4.14 ImgTec image made by Robert Nelson. This was to garner full SGX / GPU graphics capabilities.

Although I recompiled the kernel and modules with the assistance of Robert, the image is still fundamentally kernel version 4.14. (Specifically 4.14.108-ti-r144.2.)

Fast forward: I’ve been investigating device tree overlays.

The issue I have is with the dtc tool:

$ dtc -I fs -O dts -f /proc/device-tree

The problem is already well documented on Debian’s bug site. This is not my post but it is entirely exemplary of my issue. It shows a ton of warnings followed by a Segmentation fault. Their resolution mentioned was to move from 1.4.7 to 1.5.0.

OK, now for my questions.

(1) As mentioned above, I am using an image based upon 4.14. The version of bb.org-overlays that came with this image is:

bb-cape-overlays/unknown,now 4.14.20210821.1-0~stretch+20210923 armhf [installed]

I turned to the upgrader script:

/opt/source/bb.org-overlays/dtc-overlay.sh

which specifically points to git_tag="v1.4.7" at the bottom.

So, trivially, could I just change this to v1.5.0 to get a new and improved version of dtc without worrying about Very Bad Things happening with regard to the device tree overlay I wish to build?

(2) Am I mistaken that I am relegated to 4.14 to have full SGX graphics acceleration? I’ve taken some pains under this assumption based upon Robert Nelson’s post, but I am open and welcome the possibility that I am misinterpreting something.