Feedback on education/GSoC/tech topics

I’ve just made a blog post at Call for topics for open-source embedded systems education projects – BeagleBoard.org Blog. Please post any replies here.

Post content:

It’s that time again, time to start gathering project ideas and possible mentors for Google Summer of Code. This year, you can be a student even if you aren’t enrolled in school! That’s got me thinking about the key areas we need to help advance education around open source embedded systems.

One of the early Beagle community development focuses was software defined radio (SDR). With updates to available CBRS bands, enabling personally unlicensed 5G small cell creation, and unlicensed radio frequency (sub-GHz) low-power wireless networks like IEEE 802.15.4, LoRa, and Wi-SUN, and many new silicon solutions, there are many opportunities to work on open source SDR technology and the integration of those into open source software networking stacks.

Of course, other popular topics in computer science today, like AI and blockchain, are areas that have unique applications and challenges in embedded systems. Other big topics in my mind around open source embedded systems today are RISC-V and FPGA. I think Beagle has a role to play in each of these areas.

Got feedback on how important these topics are to open source embedded systems, thoughts on projects that could be tackled, or opinions on topics that should be more important?

2 Likes

This might be boring to some users but here goes it.

If I have a say so, which this is intended to be a thing like that idea, I would say CV but with what is accessible already on the AI or SGX(n) on the BBB or like boards from the .org.

Anyway, Computer Vision is neat to me. Profiting would be better but learning is where I am at now.

So, with processing the CV application into a SGX(n) on the BBB/BBAI would blow my mind.

I saw the libraries a while back, even tried a couple, for the SGX(n) on the BBB from ImgTec.

This is it. I want to be able to display the CV from the view to the SGX(n) on the BBB/BBAI to a LCD Screen (touch or just plain-Jane).

Seth

P.S. Is this actually possible? Can I use the BBB/BBAI to display my CV application from the SGX(n) to the LCD? I would basically be showing off and telling a bunch but it would make my day. I know people have more important things to do with their time. Unlike exporting PATH in Linux, I have none. Just wants over needs. So, if you can grasp what it is that I am describing, jump in!

1. Video Feed >>> BBB/BBAI >>> processing via the SGX(n) and ARM or EVEs/DSPs >>> 
LCD Screen 

I think this sums it up but I am not quite sure this exists. I do not know, as of now, exactly how to produce CV graphics with one camera. Anyway, just a shot in the dark for those interested in CV still and doing “stuff” with it, e.g. building larger databases of camera photos, recordings, live feeds, and processing. Off to the books!

The IMG folks released a simple OpenCL example for BeagleBone Black that might possibly be extended to support elements of OpenCV. BeagleBone AI has OpenCL support for the C6x DSP. I think a general look at accelerating OpenCV with OpenCL could be of a lot of interest. I think engaging the folks at IMG regarding this could well be worth exploring.

I’d say the general blend of classical machine vision with the latest neural network based vision models is a valuable place to explore in embedded systems. There are definitely advantages to both and the ways to blend them are often not understood.

1 Like

Okay,

I will head over to their side of the Internet and ask away. Who knows? I may find some valuable info…

I will return service once I can configure something reasonable.

Seth

Thanks for the information!