Flashing the Debian eMMC issues

First, I successfully flashed the Angstrom dMMC image to the BBB but then I issues trying to get the BBB to work using Ethernet. Someone from support suggested I use Debian instead because Angstrom is not being supported any longer. I’ve been trying to flash the Debian eMMC image to the BBB with no success. The Debian image I downloaded from the BB site does not have the “flasher” embedded in the name and I cannot find it anywhere. It seems it should be readily available. I found the following instructions but I am really new to the BBB and to programing so I am getting lost in the how to . . .

How do I do the following? Where do I find the /boot/uEnv.txt? What do I use to edit it?

Flashing eMMC

To setup the standalone microSD image to automatically flash the eMMC on powerup. Note, img files with the words “eMMC-flasher” already had this enabled…

In /boot/uEnv.txt:

##enable BBB: eMMC Flasher:
#cmdline=init=/opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/init-eMMC-flasher-v3.sh

Change to:

##enable BBB: eMMC Flasher:
cmdline=init=/opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/init-eMMC-flasher-v3.sh

and reboot the system, it’ll flash the eMMC on the next bootup. (make sure to remove the microSD after flashing is complete)

I am assuming this procedure will boot using the image I already have on the microSD which does not have the “flasher” embedded in.

Your assistance greatly appreciated.

sudo nano /boot/uEnv.txt

scroll to bottom, make change, "ctl-x" to save and exit...

Regards,

For future reference: http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Jessie_Snapshot_lxqt

If you look off to the left, there will usually be “flasher” somewhere in the description. Or . . .
william@eee-pc:~$ ls backup/ |grep blank
BBB-blank-debian-8.5-console-armhf-2016-06-19-2gb.img.xz

Blank meaning these images are meant to flash the eeprom as well, For new boards, and cases where someone trashes their eeprom, causing the board to be put into a non bootable state. This image as hinted at initially will flash an eMMC.

After editing the uEnv.txt file my BBB is still not flashing. The LEDs come on and stay lit after only a couple of seconds as though it had been flashed. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Yeah, read my post above.

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Flasher:.28console.29.28BeagleBone_Black.2FGreen_eMMC.29

“burn” to sdcard, insert into beaglebone, and it’ll start flashing immediately. Takes less than 5 minutes as I recall. But the LEDs will flash in a cylon like pattern. then go solid once it’s about to finish. Once completely finished, it’ll power down completely.

After editing the uEnv.txt file my BBB is still not flashing. The LEDs

come on and stay lit after only a couple of seconds as though it had been
flashed. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

oops right. This could be an older boot loader issue. So, in order to

boot from the sdcard, you may need to press, and hold down the boot button.
Which is at the opposite end of the board from the ethernet port, and a
little to the left, Only button on that side of the board . .

Anyway, heh. Press and hold the button until you see a blink pattern on the
LEDs, then you can let go.

Let us know if that solves your issue.

William,

Thank you for the link. My BBB is now being flashed!

= )

Lidia

You’re welcome. Do also keep in mind that there are 3 different types of images. Console, IoT, and LXQT.

• console is just the basic command like with a few things installed.
  • IoT image I’m not 100% sure about but I think it containsd console image + Nodejs + Node-RED
  • While the LXQT image is a full blown desktop image.

I was not sure how to work that into one of my posts earlier without confusing things . . .

I have the flasher image on the uSD card from the eLinux link, but when I hold down the boot button to boot, I do not get any indication on the 4 LEDs. Nothing, even after 1 minute of holding it down. I confirmed I can read from the uSD card-- on normal boot, I can read from /boot/uboot just fine, editing the uEnv.txt file and all.

I have an element 14 BBB (rev. c). Is it possible that has anything to do with why I can’t boot from uSD card?

Can you solve this issue with de Beaglebone Black Industrial?

Regards,

In my experience, instead of relying on the indicator lights, I use a serial console cable to see the progress on a BBB Industrial. I use a console image to flash the eMMC and that works fine. This should translate to the other images produced by Robert Nelson.

–Luther