FlightGear remote Cockpit on BBB for GSoC 2016

Hi,
I’m a 3rd year Electronics and Communication Engineering student from Cochin, India.

I am very interested in doing “FlightGear remote Cockpit on BBB” for the GSoC 2016. What I love about this project is, it brings three of my most favourite fields in a single project: Electronics, Computer Science and Aviation. I’ve always wanted to build a DIY cockpit at home whenever I would fly on Flight Simulator [2004, X] as a kid and not feel the realism from playing on keyboard. Now that I may have the right tools, knowledge and mentorship, I can take the step towards finally building it.

I have experience working with Arduino, RaspPi, PICs etc and can code comfortably in C,C++, Python, and I am ready to learning anything else that might be needed for the project. I also think I have enough basic flight theory knowledge from FlightSim-ing and watching countless AirCrashInvestigation episodes. I dont have previous experience with Beagleboards but I believe I can catch up quickly. Getting to learn more about BBB is another exciting reason to love this project.

I’ve already installed flightgear, and started reading about I/O with the fdm using generic interface.

Waiting for your response,
Thank you

Hi, George,

Amazing ! You are a virtual aviation enthusiast! However, this idea may not require much more flight theory knowledge compared with BeaglePilot project. And by reading your self-instruction, I may assume that you have basic experience at Embedded. I want to know more about your programming skill, could you please tell me your Github?

Although this project may not a difficult one, so where do you want start from?

Hi,
Thank you for your prompt reply!

I understand that this project doesn’t require as much flight theory knowledge but I wanted to let you know how interested I am in virtual aviation.
Yes, I do have basic experience in embedded systems.

About github, I currently don’t have any code on github, although I have basic experience using git. I have a few scripts I wrote that I will upload on github soon.
Meanwhile if you could give me some kind of a task, I’m ready to work on it, so that you can evaluate my skill.

As for where to start from:
I’d like to start understanding the flightgear property tree. I’d play with the FDM I/O and receive and parse the data on the Beaglebone. Then I’d start working on creating the UI for the cockpit now that I have some real data to test with. Now I’d extend it to include code to receive and input the control signals into the FDM for various controls like landing gear, flaps, throttle etc. I’d refactor and polish the code with aim to make it more general so that it is easy to use this code for things like Quadcopter, ROV, and other robots’ remote control.

I have started work on the rough proposal and will let you know when I’m done.

Sorry for the late reply. (I’m having exams at college, they will be over by March 19)

Eager to know your thoughts!

Thank you

Hi,
Thank you for your prompt reply!

I understand that this project doesn't require as much flight theory
knowledge but I wanted to let you know how interested I am in virtual
aviation.
Yes, I do have basic experience in embedded systems.

About github, I currently don't have any code on github, although I have
basic experience using git. I have a few scripts I wrote that I will upload
on github soon.
Meanwhile if you could give me some kind of a task, I'm ready to work on
it, so that you can evaluate my skill.

As for where to start from:
I'd like to start understanding the flightgear property tree. I'd play with
the FDM I/O and receive and parse the data on the Beaglebone. Then I'd
start working on creating the UI for the cockpit now that I have some real
data to test with. Now I'd extend it to include code to receive and input
the control signals into the FDM for various controls like landing gear,
flaps, throttle etc. I'd refactor and polish the code with aim to make it
more general so that it is easy to use this code for things like
Quadcopter, ROV, and other robots' remote control.

Have you search any exist project for that? It is may reduce your project.

I have started work on the rough proposal and will let you know when I'm
done.

Good ! I will help you.

Sorry for the late reply. (I'm having exams at college, they will be over
by March 19)

Good luck for your exam !

Hi, I’ve sent you a direct mail.

Hi, I have submitted draft proposal. Please review and comment.
Waiting for your reply,

Please paste the link here.

Cause the admin did not giving me invitation so far.

Here’s the link to draft proposal:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vaA4W4pj3aXwBQX1aRV0TzJawR3yxu1trBl1Siwoqg8/edit?usp=sharing