Does anybody have some experience with running an FTP server on the
beagleboard?

Can I do "opkg install xxx" ?

Thanks
Karsten

have you tried opkg search?

And yes, I know the answer for xxx, but give a man a fish and he can
eat a day, learn a man to fish and he can eat all his life :wink:

I did something similar, I looked at: http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/

-but the packages has a very short description. I looks like “python-pyftpdlib” is the only server, but I am not sure…

I was hoping that someone could say something like “I have tried several and xxx was the best one”. Can you recommend any?

Karsten

2009/9/28 Frans Meulenbroeks <fransmeulenbroeks@gmail.com>

Hm. Odd.

I didn't test them, but I am 100% sure that a few months ago I added
proftpd to the openembedded feed.
Maybe it is not in angstrom.
I'm not near my linux box so can't check it.
This
http://gitorious.org/gumstix-oe/mainline/blobs/3ceaf72bda30a27cebe355bcf58b43ed090ba7a2/contrib/angstrom/build-feeds.sh
suggests it should be on the feed.

Will try to remember to check this later (tomorrow or wednesday).

Frans

Thanks. I will try to bitbake it tomorrow.

Karsten

2009/9/28 Frans Meulenbroeks <fransmeulenbroeks@gmail.com>

There is proftpd, vsftpd and bftpd (although I haven't ever looked at
the latter).
I've been told there is an issue with proftpd building.
Did it work for you?
I'll try to build it later today.

Thanks for you reply!

I tried to build the proftpd, but it failed with some errors (I do not remember what). I can get back to you with the exact error message if you want? So I will try to bitbake the others.

Do I just write: ‘bitbake vsftpd’ or do I need to specify the specific .bb-file?

Karsten

2009/9/30 Frans Meulenbroeks <fransmeulenbroeks@gmail.com>

bitbake vsftpd should be fine.
feel free to contact me on irc, I'll be afk every once in a while, but
if you ping me i will get back to you
(my nick is eFfeM)

FM

If I remember correctly, busybox (used in angstrom, no?) comes with
ftpd. Not sure if it is enabled in angstrom's build configuration for
busybox, though.

Best regards

Dirk

Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:

If you are using git, then do a new pull. The proftpd recipe should be
fixed (and if not, bother me, but please provide enough info; it
builds fine for me).
I'm still seeing if vsftpd builds.

Frans

Hi Frans

I just tried to bitbake proftpd, and it failed:
ERROR: function do_compile failed
ERROR: see log in /OE/angstrom-dev/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/proftpd-1.3.2-r2/temp/log.do_compile.2581

This is the content of the log-file: log.do_compile.2581
NOTE: make -e MAKEFLAGS=
cd lib/ && make lib
make[1]: Entering directory /OE/angstrom-dev/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/proftpd-1.3.2-r2/proftpd-1.3.2/lib' make[1]: Nothing to be done for lib’.
make[1]: Leaving directory /OE/angstrom-dev/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/proftpd-1.3.2-r2/proftpd-1.3.2/lib' cd src/ && make src make[1]: Entering directory /OE/angstrom-dev/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/proftpd-1.3.2-r2/proftpd-1.3.2/src’
make[1]: Nothing to be done for src'. make[1]: Leaving directory /OE/angstrom-dev/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/proftpd-1.3.2-r2/proftpd-1.3.2/src’
cd modules/ && make static
make[1]: Entering directory /OE/angstrom-dev/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/proftpd-1.3.2-r2/proftpd-1.3.2/modules' make[1]: Leaving directory /OE/angstrom-dev/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/proftpd-1.3.2-r2/proftpd-1.3.2/modules’
test -z “”"" -a -z “”"" || (cd modules/ && make shared)
make[1]: Entering directory /OE/angstrom-dev/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/proftpd-1.3.2-r2/proftpd-1.3.2/lib/libcap' ccache arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp -isystem/OE/angstrom-dev/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/include -fexpensive-optimizations -frename-registers -fomit-frame-pointer -O2 -Wall -c cap_alloc.c -o cap_alloc.o ccache arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp -isystem/OE/angstrom-dev/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/include -fexpensive-optimizations -frename-registers -fomit-frame-pointer -O2 -Wall -c cap_proc.c -o cap_proc.o ccache arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp -isystem/OE/angstrom-dev/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/include -fexpensive-optimizations -frename-registers -fomit-frame-pointer -O2 -Wall -c cap_extint.c -o cap_extint.o ccache arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-gcc -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp -isystem/OE/angstrom-dev/staging/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr/include -fexpensive-optimizations -frename-registers -fomit-frame-pointer -O2 -Wall -c cap_flag.c -o cap_flag.o cap_flag.c: In function 'cap_get_flag': cap_flag.c:28: error: '__CAP_BITS' undeclared (first use in this function) cap_flag.c:28: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once cap_flag.c:28: error: for each function it appears in.) cap_flag.c: In function 'cap_set_flag': cap_flag.c:58: error: '__CAP_BITS' undeclared (first use in this function) make[1]: *** [cap_flag.o] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory /OE/angstrom-dev/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/proftpd-1.3.2-r2/proftpd-1.3.2/lib/libcap’
make: *** [dirs] Error 2
FATAL: oe_runmake failed

regards,
Quist

2009/10/2 Frans Meulenbroeks <fransmeulenbroeks@gmail.com>

Karsten, you must do a git pull of the dev tree to get the latest recipe.
You are building proftpd-1.3.2-r2 but when I patched it it moved to r3
to fix the build problem and to r4 to fix a strip issue (so you need
r4).
I've checked in these changes yesterday or the day before.

BTW you can also build vsftpd. This one compiled for me without problem.

Frans

Hi

Does anybody have some experience with running an FTP server on the
beagleboard?

A simpler solution will be to get a build image of Angstrom from http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/narcissus/ and select the apache package.
Using apache, you could try and configure a ftp server, although I’m not clear how to (you could run a http server quite easily!).

Regards,
Kedar

Hi Frans

Sorry about the late reply!

I just build both proftpd and vspftd with no problems. So now I just need to learn to use them, but I am sure google can answer my questions :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Karsten

2009/10/2 Frans Meulenbroeks <fransmeulenbroeks@gmail.com>