Gesture Recognition System

I am working on a project where I’m trying to capture different kinds of gestures that mute people generally make and try to link it to a audio file which conveys the meaning of that particular gesture. I’m using opencv for computer vision applications and BeagleBone Black. Can you tell me which edge detection algorithms will be best suited for me? The challenge that I may face are-

1. The color intensity of the hand may match with that of the sourrounding.
  2. There’s no guarantee that the background will be moving or will it be in a standstill.

Another thing is the efficiency of the algorithm should be fast so as to recognize the gestures quickly.

I am working on a project where I’m trying to capture different kinds of gestures that mute people generally make and try to link it to a audio file which conveys the meaning of that particular gesture. I’m using opencv for computer vision applications and BeagleBone Black. Can you tell me which edge detection algorithms will be best suited for me? The challenge that I may face are-

1. The color intensity of the hand may match with that of the sourrounding.
  2. There’s no guarantee that the background will be moving or will it be in a standstill.

Another thing is the efficiency of the algorithm should be fast so as to recognize the gestures quickly.

I think the BBB won’t have the horsepower to do what you want. The next product called BeagleBoard-X15 will be more suitable for this application and is scheduled for release sometime in Feb 2015.

Regards,
John

Thank you for the advice. But I’m a student and a newbie and experimenting out on things. So can you say about the efficient edge detection algorithms?

Thank you for the advice. But I’m a student and a newbie and experimenting out on things. So can you say about the efficient edge detection algorithms?

I don’t know enough to offer any advice but I asked my brother-in-law who does image recognition for JPL and he suggested Canny.

http://www.robotix.in/tutorials/category/opencv/edge_detection

Regards,
John