Getting Bootchart setup on Debian 8.3

Robert Nelson,

About the service /etc/init.d/networking

did you modify it for the beaglebone black ?

Because we know that the BBB have problem with ethernet. But where did you try to correct the problem ? In the networking service ? Did you put a sleep ?

Where can I reduce the time of the execution of this service ?

micka,

Robert Nelson,

About the service /etc/init.d/networking

did you modify it for the beaglebone black ?

Because we know that the BBB have problem with ethernet. But where did you try to correct the problem ? In the networking service ? Did you put a sleep ?

Where can I reduce the time of the execution of this service ?

micka,

Yes, 14 seconds is too long to spend on a service of this nature. Especially considering that here, I use a static IP, and it should spend 0 seconds waiting on the service.

As far as I can tell there is no way to change this. I spent a few hours googling around, and experimenting with a few things, and none worked . . .

I didn't make any changes to that script...

it's slow, specially if your eth0 isn't connected..

thus we use connman :wink:

Regards,

Robert,

I have the same problem, eth0 connected to a GbE switch, into our network, and eth0 set statically in /etc/network/interfaces. I even with your most recently released image changed out systemd for sysv, thinking that maybe it would make a little difference. But it changed nothing.

All those posts on Archlinux I’ve found were people had the same problem discussed a service file and a Settimeout

variable. But I could not found this variable in any of the networking.service files for systemd on this image . . . but also some discussed if this variable is set too low, it’ll cause the system to wait even longer . . . so yeah I do not know.

Anyway, I’d prefer not to use connman . . . but I would like this problem fixed. And this is a recent development. As in it’s a Jessie thing . . .

it's a debian and ubuntu thing..

Somewhere along the line, someone decided that if you had any entries
in /etc/network/interfaces, that 'should' be up before the login
prompt appears..

atleast they added a 2 minute time out..

Regards,

The ethernet is connected.

I’ve put some log in the file /etc/init.d/networking . And this file work very quickly. Weird … Looks like that systemd takes time to detect that the service finished.

[ 11.213262] net eth0: initializing cpsw version 1.12 (0)
[ 11.215589] net eth0: phy found : id is : 0x7c0f1
[ 11.231729] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

[ 117.675769] cpsw 4a100000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control rx/tx

but for some reason, it takes too much time !

Robert,

Any idea where I should start looking to resolve this problem ? I would not mind hunting the problem down myself, and then giving the group the information.

I found the answer here :

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/204753/systemd-waiting-too-long-for-network-at-debian-8-0-jessies-boot

The solution is fairly easy, just replace auto to allow-hotplug.

now it takes: networking.service (4.113s)

I found the answer here :

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/204753/systemd-waiting-too-long-for-network-at-debian-8-0-jessies-boot

The solution is fairly easy, just replace auto to allow-hotplug.

now it takes: networking.service (4.113s)

I tried that about a week ago. It did not work for me. But I only tried with systemd not sysv.

Did you put allow-hotplug everywhere ?

allow-hotplug lo
allow-hotplug eth0

Yes . . .