Getting Bootchart setup on Debian 8.3

Hi:

I would like to reduce the boot time of my BBB/BBG, running Debian 8.3. While I was able to find related posts on this forum, they seem old-ish and I wasn’t able to implement what they suggested.

The first advice was to install Bootchart, which seems to be pre-installed on the Debian 8.3 I am running. What I can’t seem to be able to do is setup Bootchart to actually collect data.
The information I found online suggests modifying /boot/uEnv.txt to include

systemd=quiet init=/sbin/bootchartd

But this still didn’t seem to enable Bootchart (i.e. no /var/log/bootchart.tgz file generated).

Would anybody have updated instructions on how to setup Bootchart with systemd and Debian 8.3?

Regards,
JS

systemd-analyze plot > file.svg

Regards,

Thank you Robert !

networking.service (18.800s)

generic-board-startup.service (6.242s)

lol

This hits the board eeprom over i2c, along with a module load, fires up
udhpc and finally an overlay load..

Regards,

yes sorry,

I know that It does a lot of thing, and it tooks a lot of time ^^ .

I will have to dig into it .

Yeah, i'd like to cut it down in time. :wink:

Regards,

Robert,

Which service is calling the script /opt/scripts/boot/am335x_evm.sh ?

bonescript-autorun.service
bonescript.service
capemgr.service

generic-board-startup.service ->

/opt/scripts/boot/generic-startup.sh ->

/opt/scripts/boot/am335x_evm.sh

Regards,

Startup finished in 3.159s (kernel) + 7.910s (userspace) = 11.069s

coughRaspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) rpi (Linux 4.1.19-v7+ #858 SMP Tue Mar 15 15:56:00 GMT 2016) armcough

The problem comes from the network … I will look into that tomorrow.

@Robert,

By the way, I’m curious what’s holding back the BBB’s boot up in jessie ? I remember it used to be every bit as snappy as the above stats listed for my rpi 3. Except the BBB didn’t have, or even need quad cores . . .

Robert Nelson,

If I’m not wrong in the file /etc/init.d/networking

The line that take a lot of time is : udevadm settle

Watches the udev event queue, and exits if all current events are
       handled.

That where we wait for a long long time !

Robert:
What script is trying to read the clock data from ntp? I have an Adafruit DS3231 for the Real Time Clock and the BBB is taking a minute before it gets the clock from the DS3231 so I suspect some script is trying to read the ntp clock data and holding up the read of my DS3231 clock. Es posible?
John

sudo apt-get remove ntp

Thanks Micka.

I just now tried that and putty.exe said that ntp isn’t installed, so not removed, but I’ll bet it’s gotta be something like that. Maybe something for the Internet connection.

John

the ntp serviced use with debian is actually ntpdate.

In Jessie…

systemd-timesyncd

Is setup by default.

Regards,

As Robert told u, you need to disable the service
systemd-timesyncd:

systemctl disable systemd-timesyncd

My apologies to All: I’m an interloper. Actually I’m using Debian Wheezy and my problem is not related to bootchart. I hitched onto this thread, suggested by Drew Fustini in the Adafruit forum.

I have an Adafruit DS3231 Real Time Clock module attached to my BBB. Debian is delaying for one minute to read the DS3231’s clock time and I would like to eliminate that one minute delay. I suspect that Debian is trying to go through the Internet to read the time from ntpdate or whatever and gives up after a minute, finally reading the clock data from the DS3231 module.

FWIW, I checked the status of the systemd-timesyncd service and found that it’s “inactive (dead).”

Thanks,
John

My apologies to All: I’m an interloper. Actually I’m using Debian Wheezy and my problem is not related to bootchart. I hitched onto this thread, suggested by Drew Fustini in the Adafruit forum.

I have an Adafruit DS3231 Real Time Clock module attached to my BBB. Debian is delaying for one minute to read the DS3231’s clock time and I would like to eliminate that one minute delay. I suspect that Debian is trying to go through the Internet to read the time from ntpdate or whatever and gives up after a minute, finally reading the clock data from the DS3231 module.

FWIW, I checked the status of the systemd-timesyncd service and found that it’s “inactive (dead).”

Thanks,
John

John,

Maybe helpful for you, maybe not. But you could look into the wheezy package fake-hwclock, which keeps time as close as possible to accurate time between reboots. Which would then make that one minute delay at least bearable.

The problem I’m thinking you’re running into here is that it takes a while for the OS to come up. So until the system is read to take care of reading the real time clock . . .

Perhaps you could find, or write a kernel module that loads time from the rtc at early boot ? But non of this is anything I’v personally had hands on with, except fake-hwclock.