Gnome/gdm/x11 freezes/hangs

Hello all. I recently updated Angstrom to 3.8.11-r23a-2. I’m running from uSD and decided to setup Angstrom such that it boots directly to console (through the HDMI) and not gdm. I accomplished this with the command “systemctl disable gdm.service”.

Once logined into the tty1 console, I then start gdm by typing “gdm”.

When Gnome starts, it hangs at the Gnome login screen and I’m unable to proceed any further. I don’t seem to lose mouse/keyboard control…the gnome login screen just freezes…

BTW this problem has persisted for me with the older 3.8.11-r23a-0 and even 3.8.8. I initially thought that it was a vnc problem, but then realized that its the gdm/gnome/x11 thats freezing not the vnc server.

I’d really like to get gnome working as I’d like to develop some GTK-based applications that need X11 & Desktop Environment to run properly. I appreciate any help with this matter.

Hello all. I recently updated Angstrom to 3.8.11-r23a-2. I'm running from
uSD and decided to setup Angstrom such that it boots directly to console
(through the HDMI) and not gdm. I accomplished this with the command
"systemctl disable gdm.service".

Once logined into the tty1 console, I then start gdm by typing "gdm".

What happens if you type in
startx

Dieter when typing startx I get a plain black background with three un-useable bash terminals with a white background. I know…real weird.
Anyways I reimaged by sd with Angstrom and did an update. That seemed to fix it.

Hussam