Got started.....next steps?

Hi, have just received my BBAI-64, what a beast! Have it up and running with updated software and so have a (rather warm) Linux SBC running on my desktop. Of course I didn’t just want a Linux SBC, I want to use a DSP. Don’t mind if it’s the C71 or one of the C66’s if that’s easier. How do I get started down this path? Have found the A72 and PRU compilers but not the DSP and R5F compilers. Is development for these cores done on the BBAI-64 or on a host? If it’s a host then I’m guessing I need to install an SDK.

Just use a small fan on the top and it will run cool and pass stressng testing. Tape or silicone rubber adhesive will work fine, then you can peel it off when you get ready to mount it into a cabinet.

Hi Steve,

Welcome into the community. Please checkout these links:

Minimal Cortex-R5 example on BBAI-64 - General Discussion - BeagleBoard
BBAI-64 Cortex-R5 gpio toggle experiment - General Discussion - BeagleBoard
CCS Project For C66x/C71x Preloaded Firmware - General Discussion - BeagleBoard

I haven’t worked with DSP cores but, from what Stoerfried posted, it sounds like the IPC is identical to the R5F.

If you get something going for the DSP or even something new going on with the R5F please post back so we can all gain knowledge from your experimentation.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I will fan cool it, probably using a USB connector as I haven’t found the mating connector for the board.

1 Like

Hi Fred,
Thanks for the pointers. I’ll look into these. Makes sense that the IPC is fundamentally the same with Linux remote proc.
Will post back if I can add anything useful.

I just us tinned the ends of the fan wires and stuck them into the header.

If you have a crimp tool for the dupont wire connectors that works too.

I guess you mean the main Beaglebone 0.1" headers, J8/J9. Yes, I could use those too, I have dupont wires. There’s a specific fan header, J1, for a 5V PWM fan. It’s that I don’t have the connector for,

Here is some stuff I bought when I first got started:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DXS86G7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BBAI-64 UART connector to FTDI Cable:
https://my.element14.com/element14/1103004000156/beaglebone-ai-serials-cable/dp/3291081

BBAI-64 Fan connector Cable:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/molex/0151340406/6198203

When I first got started. I thought: “I will get the PWM fan working first”. I quickly gave up on that. I then watched Benedict Hewson perform some magic, Developing the BONE-FAN overlay and getting it working. I was blown away. I still haven’t gotten the PWM fan working. I always figured at some point it would just start working. I believe the key secrets are alluded to in this specific post:

@benedict.hewson what would we have to do to get your BONE-FAN overlay working?

Regards,
Fred Eckert

1 Like

Hi Fred

I noticed a while ago after reflashing my board this stopped working.
I haven’t had the chance to figure out why yet. Looking at the dmesg output it looks like something is preventing this working correctly. Certainly something is exporting the PWM.

Originally there was a udev script that exported any enabled PWM modules. This would stop the overlay from working as the PWM was then busy. But now disabling that udev rule, still results in the PWM being exported and so the FAN overlay fails with a device/resource busy message.

I have yet to figure out exactly what is causing the PWM to be exported. Have just been too busy of late to look at it.

Yes, that is correct. Just use + and - that are on opposing sides of the header. If you have a male dupont wire connector the that would be much better. I don’t recall the exact pin number, it would be best to look that up.

Thanks. I have a PSU and 2 FTDI cables with BB AI uart adaptors.
Noctua also do a 80mm 5V PWM fan, which is a similar size to the BBAI64 heatsink.
https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a8-5v-pwm
I’ll start with powering this through USB and move to the intended fan connector somewhere down the line.

Received Noctua NF-A8 5V PWM fan. Powered by USB and held on by gravity but works a treat, no heat buildup.

2 Likes