GPRS modem, "screen" problem

I am trying to make my GPRS modem work on my beaglebone which is running angstrom. I use UART for connection. Here are my questions:

I open ttyO1 port with screen and write appropriate AT commands and can get required responses. But cannot check if my connection is successful. Because when I close screen by ctrl+a z, it does not only close the ttyO1, it also closes the beaglebone’s terminal. (It goes back to my home directory root@ubuntuPC. I think it is because I connect to beaglebone with screen also. Therefore when I close screen, it terminates all the screen connections.) Is not there a way that when I close the screen I go back to root@beaglebone? I tried picocom also but nothing changed. If I can go back to root@beaglebone when I close screen, I can check my connection by pinging a site. But is there a way that without closing screen, I can check my internet connection? Is there a AT command for that?

My other question is: many people wrote scripts for GPRS connection. They use chat.connect, chat.disconnect scripts and provider file under ppp/peers. But I do not have that directory. What I have is:

root@beaglebone:~# ls /etc/ppp/
chap-secrets ip-down ip-down.d ip-up ip-up.d options pap-secrets

Do I need them? If not, how can I do the same thing with my current files?

Regards

Hey zero, are you still using the E173 modem? If so, could you describe the steps you took to get it working on beaglebone?

Att,

Fernando Akira Endo

2012/7/12 zero <satanasxentius@gmail.com>

Fernando, I could not make E173 work and started using a GSM modem which includes a RoHS and quad band compatible simcom sim900d module.

Fernando, did you try adding option.c to your usbserial kernel? While searching on the net, I noticed that some people using Huawei 3g modems solved their problem with adding option.c to their kernel module.

Oh man, now I see you use ‘zero’ as nickname!

Fernando, did you try adding option.c to your usbserial kernel? While searching on the net, I noticed that some people using Huawei 3g modems solved their problem with adding option.c to their kernel module.

Yes, I’m also modprobing the ‘option’ module. I’ve created a thread at usb-modeswitch’s forum, hope they can help me!

Att,

Fernando Akira Endo

Phi Innovations

Av. José Rocha Bomfim, 214 - Cj. 16
Cond. Praça Capital - Ed. Londres
Center Santa Genebra
13080-650 - Campinas - SP - Brasil
+55 19 3709-1358

2012/7/13 Amadeus Bachmann <satanasxentius@gmail.com>

Ahaha :smiley: I do not know how to disable that nickname. I do not want any nickname but could not figure out how to get rid of it!

By the way Fernando, at last I am able to use my Huawei 3g modem and also sim900d. I installed ubuntu 12.04 to my beaglebone and followed this guide: http://wwwu.uni-klu.ac.at/agebhard/HuaweiE220/

After that, I changed three things:

first added my 3g modem’s product and vendor Id to /etc/modules: usbserial vendor 0x12d1 product=0x1001

I added OK “AT+CGDCONT=1,“IP”“mgb”” under “” “ATZ” in /etc/chatscripts/hui-prep-nopin

and changed “” “ATD99*1#" to “” "ATD99#”

oh, and also changed 460800 to 115200 for sim900d. But it is not required for Huawei e173 3g modem.

Thank you Amadeus for these tips!
I’m happy to know you’ve solved this problem!
Unfortunately, in my case, we have to use our customized distro…

Best regards,

Fernando

2012/7/16 Amadeus Bachmann <satanasxentius@gmail.com>

Fernando,

did you finally make it work?
I’m trying to connect Huawei E173 with BeagleBoard, so if you or anybody else have some tips please share…

Dana ponedjeljak, 16. srpnja 2012. 21:49:20 UTC+2, korisnik Fernando Akira Endo napisao je: