GSoC 2013 Calendar

All,

NOW is the time to engage students and encourage them to participate. Below is a copy of the calendar for your convenience. Don’t let students wait until May 3rd to engage, as they are sure not to get accepted that way!

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2013

Regards,
Jason

Are we going to have submissions sent to this list?

Thanks

Tom

Hey
I was looking for Jason Kridner.

I am really interested in the## node-webkit based cross-platform getting-started appproject.

Could you guide me on how to start implementing it?
Also is it scalable to 3 months in the gsoc?

I will be starting with the getting started guide.

Looking forward to a reply.

Thanks
Sam

Hey

I'm around. I'm also on #beagle and #beagle-gsoc as 'jkridner' quite a bit.

I am really interested in the node-webkit based cross-platform
getting-started app
project.

There is a base implementation at

Well, I somewhat wrote the features in phases where you'd start with the
first one and work down:

*Features*:

- Provide instructions for getting up-and-running with the board based
   (incorporate the Getting Started Guide)
   - Automatically discover boards on the LAN using mDNS and predetermined
   IP addresses
   - Act as a browser to interact with the board, including performing SSH
   and SCP
   - Discover the latest SD card images from multiple distributions
   - Bootload the board with a USB-mass-storage-class application
   - Program SD cards through the board or a USB adapter
   - Program on-board eMMC

At each phase, you'd need to test on all 3 platforms (Mac, Windows and
Linux) to make sure you aren't implementing a platform-exclusive solution.

I think so. If we needed to scale back, we could drop bootloading the
board and simply use an existing USB-to-SD card adapter.

The mDNS stuff is pretty much done and the debugging required is fairly
straight-forward. Image downloading should be very direct for someone able
to code with node.js. There are existing open source (or included)
applications for performing 'dd' across the operating systems, but you'll
need to examine the licenses and make sure they work.

I think, however, to really get value out of the GSoC, it really needs to
include the bootloading portion. There is some debate on the best way to
bootload the boards if you can leverage u-boot, but I think the real
approach here is to use libusb and implement each of the protocols
necessary to boot from the ROM.

The best way to write-up a good proposal on how to do that is to read the
chapter in the TRM on the boot rom and come back with specific questions on
it. AM3359 data sheet, product information and support | TI.com

I will be starting with the getting started guide.

Cool, be sure to explore the different branches in the git repo and try out
the existing app on your system.

Looking forward to a reply.

I think the cool-factor of this project starts when you realize you have a
single-app infrastructure for taking blank hardware, help just about anyone
get it to a known state and then having live interactions with it---and it
would always be up-to-date.

where is the list of available projects ?

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard/GSoC/Ideas << These are some ideas that are being discussed.

Tom

Submissions go to melange (http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2013/beagle). You need to register as a mentor if you want to be a mentor.

Hey

I am really interested in the## node-webkit based cross-platform getting-started appproject.

Please don’t hijack threads, but instead start a new one.

Yes, but you’ll need to describe your particular skills to understand how you can have an impact.

I think porting Arduino libraries to the BeagleBone using StarterWare would be pretty cool for a GSOC project. It would be a great tool for people, who are new to the bone and want to test existing Arduino code on the bone.

Please don’t hijack threads, but instead start a new one.

I have a few questions:

• How will the code be dumped? The current BeagleBone has no on-board flash, so the microSD is the only option. I am not sure how the IDE would be modified to copy the compiled files to the card instead of “programming” the hardware.

You answered your only question here. Looking up ‘scp’ might be useful for you—I think it is a viable solution.

• Should there be support for the Black BeagleBone(or likewise the old Bone, if we implement code for the new one)? I have heard it has on-board flash so dumping could be easier(or hard).

Yes. Same, since you access it the same (I’m inferring a question for you here).

• Should this be an extension of the Energia Code or a new fork of the Arduino Code?

Do you mean should you fork something a bit closer to the mainline Arduino code? Well, ideally you’d rebase whatever useful work is in Energia on top of the latest Arduino code such that you get the best of all worlds and we could always attempt to send patches to the Arduino maintainers (though they wouldn’t/shouldn’t really be interested in supporting code for boards that aren’t theirs. In practicality, the Energia maintainers will have more interest in accepting patches, since they already support TI platforms and we’re using a TI processor.

• What should be the target for GSOC? Will the timeframe be enough to implement a full featured, tested IDE with libraries, compilation and dumping support?

I suggest doing a bottoms-up analysis of what you can impact towards that goal.

• Is this the right place to initiate discussions for possible GSOC projects?

Yes, and #beagle-gsoc on irc.freenode.net.

where is the list of available projects ?

Really?

I think porting Arduino libraries to the BeagleBone using StarterWare would be pretty cool for a GSOC project. It would be a great tool for people, who are new to the bone and want to test existing Arduino code on the bone.

I have a few questions:
  • How will the code be dumped? The current BeagleBone has no on-board flash, so the microSD is the only option. I am not sure how the IDE would be modified to copy the compiled files to the card instead of "programming" the hardware.

The ROM supports USB boot as well, so you could write a helper app that talks that protocol and loads the coude

• Should there be support for the Black BeagleBone(or likewise the old Bone, if we implement code for the new one)? I have heard it has on-board flash so dumping could be easier(or hard).

There's no real difference between white and black as far as this project is concerned, you can emulate the black with white + emmc cape + hdmi cape.

I'll leave the rest of the question to someone with actual starterware experience, Jason?

regards,

Koen

Looks like I replied to this one before, but as a reminder…

Early engagement is on this list, but the submissions are at:
https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/dashboard/google/gsoc2013#proposals_submitted

I have a few questions:

• How will the code be dumped? The current BeagleBone has no on-board flash, so the microSD is the only option. I am not sure how the IDE would be modified to copy the compiled files to the card instead of “programming” the hardware.
  • Should this be an extension of the Energia Code or a new fork of the Arduino Code?
  • What should be the target for GSOC? Will the timeframe be enough to implement a full featured, tested IDE with libraries, compilation and dumping support?
  • Is this the right place to initiate discussions for possible GSOC projects?

to jason kridner:

Some questions I had to ask regarding node-webkit based cross platform getting started app,

1. Provide instructions for getting up-and-running with the board based (incorporate the Getting Started Guide)
    what more is expected in this particular feature?
    I went through the guide, and found it to be quite informative, and the steps it mentions should be manual and not automated, since they are a learning thing.

2. The ROM code implements the RNDIS class driver, which is mainly a windows proprietary driver. Linux support for RNDIS is not said to be perfect, would that be an issue?
    Also, as per my understanding, all those procedural instructions in the TRM manual are not yet implemented in code at all?

3. where do i look for the mDNS code?

Thanks!
Sam

to jason kridner:

Please do not hijack threads but start a new one.

Some questions I had to ask regarding node-webkit based cross platform getting started app,

1. Provide instructions for getting up-and-running with the board based (incorporate the Getting Started Guide)
    what more is expected in this particular feature?
    I went through the guide, and found it to be quite informative, and the steps it mentions should be manual and not automated, since they are a learning thing.

Learning to follow exact steps isn’t learning. Learning what the steps are doing would be helpful and documentation effort towards that end is greatly appreciated. Because following exact steps isn’t learning, there is only benefits from automating it. Now, if you want to tell people exactly what you are automating, all the better!

1. The ROM code implements the RNDIS class driver, which is mainly a windows proprietary driver. Linux support for RNDIS is not said to be perfect, would that be an issue?

Yes, it is a challenge you’d need to overcome.

Also, as per my understanding, all those procedural instructions in the TRM manual are not yet implemented in code at all?

They are implemented. TI has some examples, but only supported on Linux hosts.

1. where do i look for the mDNS code?

Google node-mdns?

I have a few questions:
      • How will the code be dumped? The current BeagleBone has no on-board flash, so the microSD is the only option. I am not sure how the IDE would be modified to copy the compiled files to the card instead of "programming" the hardware.

The ROM supports USB boot as well, so you could write a helper app that talks that protocol and loads the coude

There's no real difference between white and black as far as this project is concerned, you can emulate the black with white + emmc cape + hdmi cape.

I'll leave the rest of the question to someone with actual starterware experience, Jason?

I don't have any real starterware experience. I did run it on the
White at one point in time just to boot it, but I abandoned it almost
immediately due to other project activity. In general, I'd scope this
as a bottoms-up implementation as you would on any other
microcontroller, knowing that there are a few more complicated things
to setup on the SoC, but that library code exists to help you get that
stuff running.

Nageswari, Ron, (both in Bcc)

Would either of you be interested in having someone on your team
mentor a Google Summer of Code student to implement the Arduino API on
top of StarterWare?

Background at https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2013/beagle.
Unfortunately, this is on an incredibly short time schedule with the
student deadline for applications being mid-day tomorrow (19:00 UTC
May 3rd).

Regards,
Jason

Jason,

Yes, I'd be interested in helping get the Arduino API on Starterware.

Take care,
Ron

Will you apply to be a mentor? https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2013/beagle “Start a connection”