GSOC-2015

Hello everyone…

I am new to GSoc. Can anyone help to get started ?
I am experienced with the beaglebone, raspberry pi, arduino, galileo board and TI-stellaris board.
Can anyone direct me to a mentor ?

Thanks.

Well, what idea are you interested in? Only based on that can you figure out the right person to talk to.

Well, I can do anything related to embedded stuff. For example: firmware related/ kernel related stuff. Also I can develop the operating system which beagle-bone is using right now (mainly debian based and angstrom).

Well, I can do anything related to embedded stuff. For example: firmware related/ kernel related stuff. Also I can develop the operating system which beagle-bone is using right now (mainly debian based and angstrom).

I meant which project are you interested in? Did you look at the ideas page? Do you have your own idea?

I really like this idea from the projects page. I can do this:

Secondary processor support (RPC/gcc/etc.): Enabling usage of DSPs, PRUs, FPGAs, Cortex-M3s, Arduinos, MSP430 launchpads and other attached processing platforms.

Thats an area under which a few ideas fall. But you could contact Hunyue Yau, Matt Ranostay or Pantelis Antoniou.

They are generally handling such topics. If you have any questions particular to the PRU, you could ask me.
But I suggest you pin point one or two projects you would like to work on!

I just read about you. I guess you did a project in gsoc-'14. It is nice of you to help me out. I actually did a small hardware project which involved interfacing 2 hcsr04 sensors with beaglebone black. I actually struggled a lot and completed it. During this time I learnt a lot about PRU. So my question is, since I am familiar with PRU, will I have an heads-up in gsoc ?

No guarantees. It will help you build a better proposal, but i can’t say anything more than that. It all depends on your project and how you plan to complete it.

So can you tell me what should I do right now which maximizes the chance to get through gsoc ?

Pick a project. Talk to the mentor. Make a solid plan to execute.
That would maximize your chances; but in no way guarantee a spot.

Thanks a lot. It was very sweet of you. Can please tell me how to contact Hunyue Yau, Matt Ranostay or Pantelis Antoniou?

I don’t think any of them are active with GSoC work during Dec/Jan. Best look out for them in the IRC. But I suggest select a project, then talk about it. on IRC and the mailing list. The mentors will then get involved.

Deepak sir,

I am completely new to opens-source and beaglebone ( actually i got my project proposal accepted at Texas instruments TIDC 2015, and got a BBB board through it ), but i am a curious learner and crazy about embedded systems.

I want to start contributing to the opensource Community and want to ultimately take part in GSoC 2015.
But i am not having any one to guide me ( there's no one here in my college to help out )
Please can you help me ?
I would b really greatefull !

I suggest you don’t hijack a thread if you want to be noticed. If you want some hints to learn, check out some of the books at http://bit.ly/bbb-books