GSoC'15 : Idea

I have an idea for GSoC’2015.
Please have a look (PDF attached ), Its just an overview .

Suggestions are welcomed !! :slight_smile:

IdeaGsoc’15.pdf (292 KB)

Hello Zubeen

Welcome to the BeagleBoard.org community :slight_smile:

I feel that the scope of all what you want to do is too wide for a 3-month Google Summer of Code - ideas of a Universal Programmer, Multimeter, Audio Playback and CNC Machining go “orthogonal”. Try to narrow down on what exactly you would want to do in the 3 months period that is allocated for the Google Summer of Code.

There was a GSoC project in 2013 which embarked on doing something similar related to OpenOCD - the idea was to run OpenOCD on the BeagleBoard and output the JTAG bitstream using the PRU - so you don’t need an expensive JTAG Debugger to program the microcontrollers. You could look into the details of that project for further information and pick up from where it left off. If you want to program and debug on ARM microcontrollers, OpenOCD is a must-have. You could add OpenOCD to your proposal - that way you get to cover a lot of development platforms.

Pick one or two which according to you would be doable in the 3-month period. Try to come up with a plan or scheme on how would you go about it in the given time frame. Divide your work into manageable chunks with fixed deadlines. This will play a very important role in the consideration of your application.

If you are planning to build on top of BeagleLogic, I strongly suggest that you start looking at Linux kernel programming and familiarize yourself with how the PRU works. This will save you considerable time in the coding period to focus more on what you want to do rather than understanding how the various parts are put together.

Think about how would you convince us that you would be able to deliver what you’ve put forward and complete the tasks in the given time frame.

Best Regards
~Abhishek

This idea involves a lot of hardware design, which falls outside of the scope of GSoC.

It also doesn’t seem like the most viable product idea in my opinion. For one it would end up being a very expensive board (plus the cost of the beaglebone), and someone would really need every single one of those functions for it to be at all worth buying. It’s also a whole lot of different things to cram onto one PCB, and that tends to not leave much room for any of them to be particularly good at their job, e.g. you’ll have all sorts of issues with noise and crosstalk.

In the spirit of making these tools more available, I think it would make much more sense to split each of these functions into their own capes. You’ll also find that some of them already exist, e.g. CNC capes. It would fit much better into the scope of GSoC to choose one or two of those to propose, preferably with a fairly minimal hardware design component so not much time would be spent on that, and focus on making them work really well.

Thank you for your responses ! (And sorry for replying back so late ).

In that case, i would like to build a wireless (bluetooth) universal programmer and debugger .

But, will it be that usefull to community ? I actually intend to build this because i faced lot of problems when i started embedded.

Also, i would really love to work on something that would actually be a usefull product for normal people (not developers),like a BBB-Jarvis(yes, ironman's super computer), but after discussing it on the irc, i found that it would take a few years to develope such a product. Most of the work done over BBB is for the developer community. Please let me know any such idea, if it's there.

In that case, i would like to build a wireless (bluetooth) universal programmer and debugger .

Can you elaborate? What exactly would you be developing? What are some use cases?

But, will it be that usefull to community ? I actually intend to build this because i faced lot of problems when i started embedded.

If you can’t see how it would be useful to the BeagleBoard community then it may well not be… what problems did you face that this would address?

Also, i would really love to work on something that would actually be a usefull product for normal people (not developers),like a BBB-Jarvis(yes, ironman’s super computer), but after discussing it on the irc, i found that it would take a few years to develope such a product. Most of the work done over BBB is for the developer community. Please let me know any such idea, if it’s there.

Be sure to check out the ideas page (BeagleBoard/GSoC/Ideas-2023 - eLinux.org). There’s a section on “Improving initial experience for novice developers”. I’m not sure what you mean by “a useful product for normal people”, but the BeagleBone is a great platform for helping beginners learn about software and hardware development.

Can you elaborate? What exactly would you be developing? What are some use cases?

Actually, The Universal Programmer, would be an extension to the BeagleBoardOpenOCD such that it would support various other micro-controllers like AVR , PIC and 8051, supporting parallel as well as ISP programming. Also it would support debugging them by hooking up the XTAL pins to BBB so as to manipulate the MCU operations. And if possible, adding a Bluetooth support to the board so that it would allow to program the MCU wirelessly from your laptop.

If that’s not enough, supporting a check for some basic integrated circuits like AND gates, NOR gates and other such ICs, can also be added to the proposed project.