HDMI audio extractor chip with I2S outputs?

I am trying to capture the 8-channel 24-bit 192 kS/s audio to BeagleBoard from the recorded audio media.
The best such recordings seem to be the PureAudio BluRay titles from Lindberg Lyd (L2, Norrdic Sound).
I have been playing these recordings with my OPPO BDP-83 and they sound the real thing.

Next I would like to make a BeagleBoard format expansion interface board with a few HDMI inputs
transferring the audio fraction of the HDMI signal to the McBSP port of the BeagleBoard expansion connector
in the form of an I2S format stream.

So I now need to find a suitable HDMI interface chip to separate audio to an I2S stream for me.
As far as I know at least NXP and ADI have them.

But at this point I am not willing to pay the up-front 5 - 10 k$ license fees just to get started!

So what would be the best chip for me to proceed with?

I need the detailed data and a few chips, preferably of the 4-input HDMI 1.4 breed.
But any interface device having the above mentioned characteristics will do.

Thank you very much for your valuable advice in advance.

And Happy Holidays,
siñ

Seppo Nikkil� wrote:

I am trying to capture the 8-channel 24-bit 192 kS/s audio to BeagleBoard from the recorded audio media.
The best such recordings seem to be the PureAudio BluRay titles from Lindberg Lyd (L2, Norrdic Sound).
I have been playing these recordings with my OPPO BDP-83 and they sound the real thing.

Next I would like to make a BeagleBoard format expansion interface board with a few HDMI inputs
transferring the audio fraction of the HDMI signal to the McBSP port of the BeagleBoard expansion connector

So I now need to find a suitable HDMI interface chip to separate audio to an I2S stream for me.

But at this point I am not willing to pay the up-front 5 - 10 k$ license fees just to get started!

well, afaik you need to have a hdmi license to use the
hdmi receiver chips, so I guess you are out of luck...

also, since hdmi receivers tend to have HDCP inside,
they can be used for certain "purposes" and that makes
sales of them even more controlled...

Hi Vladimir,

This is my understanding as well - but there must be
a reasonable solution somewhere. Does somebody
sell a HDMI-to-I2S audio extractor product?

Hi Vladimir,

This is my understanding as well - but there must be
a reasonable solution somewhere. Does somebody
sell a HDMI-to-I2S audio extractor product?

What about this product:

http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?pid=113

Kind Regards,

John

Well... the HDCP master key has been leaked, but how useful that
would be to you (and how legal it would be to use it), I don't know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection#Master_key_release

Pete

I’m not sure about this, but perhaps you can use DisplayPort which is royalty free and then use a low cost HDMI to DisplayPort adaptor.

Kind Regards,

John

I need the detailed data and a few chips, preferably of the 4-input HDMI 1.4 breed.
But any interface device having the above mentioned characteristics will do.

Thank you very much for your valuable advice in advance.

And Happy Holidays,
siñ

Thank you for your ideas everybody. I want to do everything legally but with reasonable costs… I am prototyping so at this point I have no intention to sell anything.

So my latest thoughts are to rip up the cheapest BluRay player supporting 8-ch, 24-bit, 192 kS/s I2S audio streaming.

Is the HDCP key written on the chip or loaded by the control software. So what is the minimum amount of circuitry I need to “cut”. If I buy a BluRay player I own it, right? If I own a player I have the right to cut it into parts, right? Which player?

Well, this is silly, of course, but does somebody have a better, below $500 plan?

Frustrated, stuck at Gatwick airport,
siñ

There are multiple players that have their I2S signal exposed. I had a quick look at the Dune BD Prime 3.0 and it seems as if it would be easy to tap I2S out from it.
What that player and many others lack is full THX licensing for audiophile formats.
http://www.lundman.net/wiki/index.php/Dune:Dune_BD_Prime_Audio_Hardware

Thanks Gaston DSP,

I will now proceed in the BluRay player surgery line.
Will let you know about my findings once I have some…

The lack of THX licensing is really a big issue to me.
I want to play the PureAudio BluRay stuff that I belive comes out
as raw 8-ch, 24(+8) bit /192 kS/s I2S stream. This is the real thing since
the channels are independent and not artificially created from stereo.

Merry Christmas to all BeagleBoard friends,
siñ