HDMI works with TV or HDMI monitor but not DVI monitor

I have an orginal BB connected to a DVI monitor with a DVI-to-HDMI cable(original BB uses full size HDMI conn) and it works great but my new BBB with a HDMI socket-to-micro HDMI pigtail does not work. Checking the edid file in /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/ has no data. But, I know the HDMI interface works because I connected the BBB to my Vizio TV using a HDMI-to-micro HDMI cable and it even works using the pigtail when connected using and HDMI-to-HDMI cable connected to a HDMI monitor.

What trouble shooting options are there to determine why I’m getting no edid from my DVI monitor when the original BB does work?

BTW, dmesg output shows a few of these “disconnd” messages before showing a repeating “status updated from 2 to 2”.

[ 46.143349] [drm:drm_mode_getconnector], [CONNECTOR:5:?]
[ 46.143362] [drm:drm_helper_probe_single_connector_modes], [CONNECTOR:5:HDMI-A-1]
[ 46.143544] [drm:drm_helper_probe_single_connector_modes], [CONNECTOR:5:HDMI-A-1] disconnd
[ 46.388422] fuse init (API version 7.20)
[ 50.844173] [drm:output_poll_execute], [CONNECTOR:5:HDMI-A-1] status updated from 2 to 2
[ 60.875305] [drm:output_poll_execute], [CONNECTOR:5:HDMI-A-1] status updated from 2 to 2
[ 70.906577] [drm:output_poll_execute], [CONNECTOR:5:HDMI-A-1] status updated from 2 to 2

thanks.

Doug

There is a new image coming out, hopefully next week that should help assuming everything else is fine.

In the meantime I suggest you go to the support wiki and look under HDMI issues for other trouble shooting things you can do…

Gerald

Thanks, I watched the new image get pushed out from an 8/16/13 release to the 8/21/13 release date so waiting with baited breath. I will check the HDMI support page again but it would be for a 3rd time. It where I learned where to check for the EDID file. From that page I’d attempted the default to 720x480 resolution setting method but that didn’t work either. dmesg output appears to say the HDMI port is getting disconnected and I was wondering if there was anything I could probe to verify the port was active.

Doug

Yes, I pushed it out. Still checking on a few things. You can download the test load it you like and see how it works.

http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/angstrom/beaglebone/test-Angstrom-Cloud9-IDE-GNOME-eglibc-ipk-v2012.12-beaglebone-2013.08.14.img.xz

Gerald

ok, thanks I’m downloading now and hope to give it a shot tonight. Just got the BBB so will be first run at imaging it but not first time imaging firmware/devices. I’ll post the results. Thanks.

Doug

no HDMI/DVI joy with the pre-release software.

I tried putting these in the uEnv.txt boot file:
capemgr.disable_partno=BB-BONELT-HDMI video=HDMI-A-1:640x480@60

not still not difference and still no data in the edid file. I also added the drm.debug=7 option and nothing stands out as far was why there’s no EDID data being read. I took it to the TV and verified it still works there.

There seems to be something wrong with either the DVI-HTDI cable as far as EDID goes. i guess I could look up what pins on the DVI and the mini-HDMI are for EDID comm and try to verify continuity. I don’t know what else to check at this point.

Doug

The uENV.txt command does not work. It does set the resolution for the initial boot logo, but once everything is running, it defaults to the EDID information.On the cable. make sure it is not one that says “Supports Ethernet”.

Generally speaking, you should always get the LOGO to show up on boot up. If you are not seeing that at all, then it sounds as if you may have a cable issue.

The uENV.txt command does not work. It does set the resolution for the initial boot logo, but once everything is running, it defaults to the EDID information.On the cable. make sure it is not one that says “Supports Ethernet”.

I was hoping to see the boot logo and that is why the low resolution set but didn’t.

Generally speaking, you should always get the LOGO to show up on boot up. If you are not seeing that at all, then it sounds as if you may have a cable issue.

So strange that the same cable works with the original BeagleBoard. One thing, I’ve not verified that the original BeagleBoard board uses any EDID comm and without a laptop or desktop with HDMI a simple software test seems unlikely.

Would you know how I can force a continuous polling of the EDID information so I might try to track it down on an O-scope?

Doug

BeagleBoard does not use EDID information. It was never implemented in the SW.

On the BBB, you can dump the EDID information. Information is on the support Wiki on how to do that.

I don’t know how to force a continuous polling.

Gerald

BeagleBoard does not use EDID information. It was never implemented in the SW.

ah ha, so that’s how that still works and sure explains why my BB works while my BBB does not…

On the BBB, you can dump the EDID information. Information is on the support Wiki on how to do that.

yes, the support wiki has been helpful and I’ve been checking that data file(edid) every time I change or test something.

I don’t know how to force a continuous polling.

Gerald

I’ll start googling around to try and find how that might be done. thanks.

Doug

WORKING! I was able to get both the shipped and the pre-release images to work by telling the kernel to enable the HDMI port. In the uEnv.txt file I added “video=HDMI-A-1:e”

So for some reason the hardware was not being enabled. BTW, running “parse-edid < /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid” shows the current resolution.

Doug

Hmmm. Glad you got it working. I need to look at this some more. You should not have had to do this.

Gerald

If you need any data collected from my system to help explore its cause just let me know.

Doug

Will do!

Thanks!

Gerald

SOLVED! (entry added to save people from having to wade through all of the thread.)

In the uEnv.txt file I directed the kernel to enable the HDMI device by adding " video=HDMI-A-1:e" to the end of the optargs= line.

Doug

Gerald, I pulled down the 08.21 image from Koen’s directory just to test the HDMI thing and wifi but found that I wasn’t getting the usb network setup. ie no 192.168.7.2 usb0 networking. If I boot back to my default BBB eMMC networking works fine.

Just wanted to get that to you before release.

Doug

Angstrom-Cloud9-IDE-GNOME-eglibc-ipk-v2012.12-beaglebone-2013.08.21.img.xz

Thanks for the feedback. It works fine here, but I will double check.

Gerald

I just checked the latest and everything works fine for me.

Gerald

if only powered by USB then it works fine but if powered by ext 5V this build does not start the USB0 network.

Doug

well, the deal is that I had both ext 5 and USB cables connected and would use shutdown -h 0 along with a reset butt push every now and then. with the shipped OS I would always get USB0 networking along with the USB comm device. With the new build I would not get USB0 networking. I’d always get it under just USB power. If I boot with ext 5v power first and then connect the USB cable, then I get USB0 networking.

so it does work but it works different than what was recently shipped.

Doug