Help!!! - lost connection to BB Rev C

I’ve been trying to connect to the internet via and USB with my BB Black Rev C and in doing so I Iost all USB connection to the BB !!!

As background my laptop is a Win 10 (64 bit system). I was able to connect to the Beaglebone and ping 192.168.7.1 and 198.168.7.2 from my BB using SSH or from my PC command window. I enabled sharing and used /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.7.1 to be able to ping 8.8.8.8.

Next I worked on the DNS resolution. This got me into problems. I modified etc/networks/interfaces to add nameserver 8.8.8.8 and nameserver 8.8.8.9 to the entry for usb0. The gateway was set properly and I changed the mask to 255.255.255.0. I also added the nameserver lines to resolv.conf. Immediately after this, with out powering down pinging www.google.com worked as did other websites… !!! success.

As a next test I powered down the BB and restarted. ------- Now my laptop does not see the BB. My ethernet 2 adapter, which was the BB gateway, says media disconnected. Using a web browser on 192.168.7.1 or 192.168.7.2 times out with an error, no website found…

How do I recover, AND, what could have caused this problem.

------ Thanks for your help, awaiting all replies.