How do I install Arduino 1.6 in the BeagleBone Black?

Hello,

I am working on a small robot project with my son. I need to install the Arduino IDE 1.6 (e.g., nightly build Linux 32) into my BBB.
The Arduino IDE from the repository installed easy using application management, but it does not support the Arudino Due boards as is.

I have basically downloaded the lasted files from the Arduino site and followed the instructions from here to create a link on the BBB desktop
https://bhargavg.wordpress.com/2011/12/23/creating-an-arduino-desktop-launcher-for-ubuntu-11-10-with-desktop-file/

I have done the install and it is working on regular Linux PCs running Ubuntu and Linux Mint, but I can’t make it work on the BBB for some reason.

On the BBB when I click over the icon I created to execute the arduino code, nothing happens.

I am getting the Arduino IDE Nighly Builds Linux 32 from here
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software#toc4

Do I have to compile the Arduino source code for the BBB? If so, I need help doing it.
As I mentioned, on the other Linux installs we have (regular PCs) I just needed to download the files and create the link to run the Arduino IDE.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you!
-Jack

The Arduino IDE ^^^ is packaged for 32bit/64bit "x86"... Not "arm"

Regards,

Like Robert says, the Arduino IDE ( wiring ) is packaged for x86 / x86-64 not ARM. HOWEVER since the Arduino IDE is based on wiring, you can create your own IDE using this with different pre-compiled binaries for a specific target. Which was done for the MSP430 launchpad ( Energia ) http://energia.nu/

With that said, this could turn into a huge project on it’s own, and probably is not worth it - for you end goals. So, there is nothing stopping you from writing your code on an x86 system, and still using the Beaglebone Black in conjunction with an Arduino board. If that is what you’re trying to achieve. e.g.

1. Program the Arduino via Arduino IDE, then upload the code to the target.
  2. Write a native binary for the Beaglebone Black - to communicate with the Arduino.
  3. Connect the two boards through circuitry. Just be aware that some Arduinos use 5v I/O, where as the beagelbone black uses 3v3. So a level shifter may be required.

So that’s it from a 30,000FT view, now all that remains to figure out is exactly how you wish to communicate with the two boards. SPI, I2C, UART, etc.

May I add, that I think it is really cool that you as a dad are willing to work with your son on a project as this. For multiple and possible obvious reasons. But that I do not exactly know your level of experience in this “arena” You’re potentially going to run into several road blocks on this journey with your son. Just do not give up, as there is usually a way to work around issues of this nature. Sometimes, it just takes thinking about your project a little differently, and sometimes even just a little searching the internet to get an idea of what all your options are.

A quick search revels the above link, indicating that linaro have some version of the IDE packaged. As the IDE is Java it should be possible to make this work, albeit with some effort. Mike

Hello,

Thank you all for the quick replies. Such a good community.

Long story short why I am trying to do this. Basically for fun and to enable my soon to go where he wants to go.

We have been doing Arduino as a stand alone robot controller and Lego robots with RobotC since he has 10 or 9. We have fun and we are not even close to explore the limits of the Arduino Uno yet.

I would like my 13 years old to expand a bit on his experience with embedded systems. By the way, his primary PC has been a Linux machine for years now. He stays on the GUI level. No,he is normal kid that also plays tennis at national level in the US (with some international tennis travel too). He loves to go out camping, just in case you are wondering.

Anyway, I good way to get him in embedded Linux would be with an easy transition using something he is already familiar with. i.e., the Arduino IDE running in Linux, in this case in our cool BBB Rev C. We can do this using WiFi/VNC to the BBB to use the Arduino IDE, in this case V1.6 to support the Due.Then we start to build from there with communication between the two boards with the Arduino doing the low level control and Linux doing some planning all being developed “inside the BBB”.

Why the Due? To make an easy transition of the I/O interfacing we will do to 3.3V controllers.

In summary this is an education exercise to let his imagination run free and have building blocks for the future.

So lets assume I need the hardware I mentioned (BBB + Arduino Due). I know I could be programming the robot(s) only using the BBB, this is coming in the near future, that is why I got the BBB. I know there are other solutions there. But this is the hardware I have :wink:

If I was using the Arduino UNO or Mega the IDE I can install on the BBB would do it. Again, the Due is part of our plans of 3.3V and learning.

I wonder how hard is to compile from source for the ARM and where I can find a step to step guide. I know it can be done since there is an Arduino IDE available already that install on the BBB (1.01 I guess). And there is one pre-installed on the Udoo Board that can generate code to the Due.

Sorry about the long reply.
Thank you all in advance for any help.

If I manage to compile the IDE package I will give it back to the community.

-Jack

Oh, my long reply disappeared…

-Jack

It could be as simple as this

http://inspire.logicsupply.com/2014/09/beaglebone-runs-arduino-ide.html

But it is not the Arduino IDE version we need.

Thank you,
-Jack

sudo apt-get arduino

the arduino IDE is also packaged in debian as the package "arduino",
available for all supported architectures.

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=arduino&searchon=names&suite=all&section=main

I'm not sure if version 1.0.5 supports Arduino Due, but 1.5.6 is
available in experimental (and can be directly installed in testing/sid, or
probably rebuilt for wheezy)

Hello

I’m running Ardunio IDE (1.0.1) on my BBB (Linux beaglebone 3.8.13-bone68)

Is your BBB behaving like the Arduino (Beagle Bone Blackuino)?
or
Do you host Arduino IDE on BBB?

only “host” the IDE on the BBB, nothing special going on here.

Thanks again for all the replies;

1. Yes, as I mentioned earlier I can install the Arduino IDE 1.0x with

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install arduino

1. No, IDE V 1.0.x will not work out of the box with the Arduino DUE

What I need is to be able to install 1.5.8, 1.6, …

1. Yes, I need to use the Arduino IDE to be able to program an Arduino Due board with my son. It is part of our learning plan/fun for him (13 years old). The robot will have the two boards. We will VNC to the BBB using WiFi. There is rational for it that I explained in part on another reply.

I will take a look at compiling the Arduino source code when I manage the time. I was hoping to find the package ready to go for the Debian ARM (BBB) :wink:

Thanks again,
-Jack

Using an external embedded board(s) actually makes perfect sense. Especially for robotics.

As I said in my first post. Nothing says you have to run the Arduino IDE on the Beagelbone, just because the beaglebone is connected to, and communicating with the Arduino. Did you miss this part of my post ? Or did I miss something in yours ?

As I said in my first post. Nothing says you have to run the Arduino IDE on the Beagelbone, just because the beaglebone is connected to, and communicating with the Arduino. Did you miss this part of my post ? Or did I miss something in yours ?

Let me put it another way. Porting the IDE could be a very useful learning experience for you and your son. However it is not necessary, and potentially a huge time sink. At least if I understand your posts correctly. The Arduino controller can still be programmed via your sons Linux PC. Once programmed, it does not matter where the code came from, as long as it is running on the Arduino, and functioning correctly.

On the beaglebone side it gets a bit more complicated. You can compile natively, or cross compile. In the end however, again it does not matter really. So long as the code is there, and functioning correctly. With that said, there is no Arduino IDE for the beagelbone, to compile binaries for the beaglebone. This is where your son will have to pick up another language. I would recommend C first, and C++ second. Since Arduino libraries seem to be loosely based on C++. Also fundamental understanding of gcc toolchains, and the stdlib for Linux is a must.

William, Where do you find the info that the Arduino IDE isn’t available for BBB? Clearly it is available from the Debian repos. The real problem is he needs a newer version that hasn’t yet been released to sid or jessie. I believe there is a newer version in experimental, don’t recall what version it is though. There is nothing to port… Mike

Re-read my post. If what I said doesnt make sense, keeping reading until it does. There is no Arduino IDE for the beaglebone to compile binaries for the beagelbone.

Hello,

I am working on a small robot project with my son. I need to install the
Arduino IDE 1.6 (e.g., nightly build Linux 32) into my BBB.
The Arduino IDE from the repository installed easy using application
management, but it does not support the Arudino Due boards as is.

I have basically downloaded the lasted files from the Arduino site and
followed the instructions from here to create a link on the BBB desktop
Creating an Arduino desktop launcher for ubuntu-11.10 with .desktop file | Arduino, AVR and beyond....

I have done the install and it is working on regular Linux PCs running
Ubuntu and Linux Mint, but I can't make it work on the BBB for some reason.
On the BBB when I click over the icon I created to execute the arduino code,
nothing happens.

I am getting the Arduino IDE Nighly Builds Linux 32 from here
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software#toc4

Do I have to compile the Arduino source code for the BBB? If so, I need
help doing it.
As I mentioned, on the other Linux installs we have (regular PCs) I just
needed to download the files and create the link to run the Arduino IDE.

Any help will be appreciated.

Could this help?

http://inspire.logicsupply.com/2014/09/beaglebone-runs-arduino-ide.html

Bill, He has already said twice in posts, that version 1.0.1 of the IDE is not new enough to support his board. That tutorial shows howto install the ardiono IDE “shipped” with Debian. Which is v1.0.1

Bill, He has already said twice in posts, that version 1.0.1 of the IDE is
not new enough to support his board. That tutorial shows howto install the
ardiono IDE "shipped" with Debian. Which is v1.0.1

Ah, I see. Well in that case, there's these instructions:

http://playground.arduino.cc/Linux/All