How should beaglebone black "start screen" look like?

Hello,

I got my beagle bone black (element 14) yesterday.
I connetcted a mouse to USB and a screen via HDMI.
After boot with out of box Angstrom it showed an empty desktop. Mouse cursor was working, context menu (right mouse button) too but the desktop stayed empty (no icons, no menus).
Is this the way it is supposed to? Last time I was using Raspberry Pi so my expection is very different.
Than I flashed Debian (2015-05-14) to eMMC. It boots and seems to hang right after claiming the “libphy: PHY 4a101000.mdio:01 not found” issue. There is no GUI at all. Hard to belive that’s the way it should be. I attached network cable and rebootet (cold start). Error message aboutnet eth0 comes now three times. Still no GUI. Despite the error message I can ping the BeagleBone and also Beagle Bones http server is running.

Is this all the way it should be or shall I send the board back?

Thanks
Chilli

I guess you need to ask Elements 14. We don’t use Angstrom, using Debian instead and it shows a desktop.

There is no PHy 01, that is why it can’t find it. It is in the processor, but not connected. Debian should boot fine. Did you use our version of Debian or something else?

http://beagleboard.org/latest-images

Gerald

Strange.
I tried to flash back to angström. But I stranded at an “angström” cmd line, could log in as root but did not know where to go from there.
I flashed the Debian image a 2nd time. This time I removed the SD card after flashing.
And now it does what it should. I ended at an desktop w/o icons but with a few menu items. A good base to start from.
This time I saw no complaoint about ethernet. Either it was covered by the GUI or there was no complaint.
I really hope the problem was that I forgot to remove the SD card. Because most alternatives would be worse ;-).

Thanks for the reply.
Chilli

Strange.
I tried to flash back to angström. But I stranded at an “angström” cmd line, could log in as root but did not know where to go from there.
I flashed the Debian image a 2nd time. This time I removed the SD card after flashing.
And now it does what it should. I ended at an desktop w/o icons but with a few menu items. A good base to start from.
This time I saw no complaoint about ethernet. Either it was covered by the GUI or there was no complaint.
I really hope the problem was that I forgot to remove the SD card. Because most alternatives would be worse ;-).

Thanks for the reply.
Chilli