How to get the latest ubuntu image for Beaglebone Black (via MicroSD Card)?

Ah? When I launch python, I get version 2.7
Should I launch python3 ?

Debian has a package for that. Your image is old, it has python2 setup as python. If you want python3, run it as ‘python3’ in older images…

Regards,

Thank you. Then, if my image is old, which file do you suggest I should download from your folder ( Index of /rootfs) ? I’d like to flash the eMMC. Thanks again for your help…

Pick one of these:

https://forum.beagleboard.org/tags/c/general/8/latest-images

Regards,

Thanks @RobertCNelson
I believe this one should be ok:

Debian 11.x (Bullseye) Xfce Desktop Snapshot

If you want Bullseye, then you select this one:

Regards,

Hi
I have tried to flash the eMMC of my BB Black, with no luck so far. Maybe I did something wrong?
I followed the instructions from here:

1. I downloaded the xz file from here, as you suggested in your previous answer
  2. Then I decompressed it and flashed the image on a 4GB SD card (tried from Windows and Linux)
  3. Then I pressed the Boot button and plugged the 5V supply (official 5V 2A)
  4. But I never got the fancy user leds flashing (only the usual heartbeat from led0)

I tried this twice, copying the image on the SD card from Linux (sudo dd if=./BBB*.img of=/dev/sdX) or Windows (with Win32 disk imager), but both times I didn’t succeed, although this stage seemed fine both times.

The BBB is still running Debian 10 Buster version.
What did I do wrong? Can you help me flash the board correctly?
Thanks for your help

Have you got a serial cable connected ? Generally when things don’t work as expected when booting, it really helps see what is going on.

Hi, thank you for your answer
I only have the supply. I insert the SD card, hold the Boot button and plug the supply in, then release the button after a few seconds.

Actually, I have never tried to have both the supply and the USB cable connected at the same time, in case of any conflict… Is it safe?

Did you download the checksum and check the image you downloaded was ok ?

Are certain that you downloaded the am335x file and not the am57xx file ?

Have you tried a different sd card ?

Beyond that without the serial console log, it is hard to say why it doesn’t appear to be booting.

No, how can I do that?

Yes, the name is different

No, I’m planning to do that this evening (in France)

So you mean I should connect both the supply and the USB cable and open a SSH link with the board?

Just down load the checksum file from here.

BBB download location

save it to the same location as the downloaded image file.

before uncompressing the image, on linux you can use the sha256sum command to check the file. I don’t know about Windows.

It is unlikely that it is corrupt, but you never know. It is more likely to be the sd card.

OK, I’ll try that this evening, and also a new SD card.
Is a 64GB card fine for the BBB?

BTW, what are the main differences between versions 10 and 11? Is it worth the effort?

EDIT: looking at your suggestion, I see that the size of the image file is only 775MB, which is very small compared to the ones I tried (more than 3GB). Is this normal?

Furthermore, I downloaded the image from here, but it says:

Media AM335x Xfce Snapshot
microSD Download am335x-debian-11.5-xfce-armhf-2022-11-01-4gb.img.xz 10
microSD sha256sum 7744b99569073a5c6282ec7627778161f2abe47f985500c5c40300ae8c2b8c97

The media is microSD, not eMMC. Maybe this is not the correct file?

That kind of depends what you are using the BBB for. You will get newer packages and a newer kernel on Debian 11.

However if it works and the latest software/security fixes are not an issue, then no, there is no real need to upgrade.

I edited my message.

There is no difference. To flash the eMMC you need to use an SD card.

I asked because here the images have 2 categories: microSD and eMMC

Media bbai64 Xfce Snapshot
microSD Download bbai64-debian-11.5-xfce-arm64-2022-11-01-10gb.img.xz 9
microSD sha256sum 0b1fb2a41cdfd73e038f1216566639c3c061d30a412062dfbd616aa0f79a1a17
eMMC Download bbai64-emmc-flasher-debian-11.5-xfce-arm64-2022-11-01-10gb.img.xz 4
eMMC sha256sum 6a2bd845683ff0fed4cf1c1f073de17d5798b5b146ee561bd8aa11c0d4863868

I thought that the eMMC version was used to permanently flash the eMMC, and the microSD to only boot from the SD card.

yup, the eMMC ones will flash the image from SD card to eMMC (hence the flasher in the filename), whereas the microSD version will not flash the eMMC and will run from the sd card.

I found here a thread explaining (as far as I can understand) that there is now only one version (the microSD version) that can be flashed on the eMMC using:

sudo enable-beagle-flasher
sudo reboot

So if I understand well, all I have to do is insert the SD card, connect via SSH, and type the above 2 lines and the eMMC will be flashed.

If the flasher is not installed, then:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install bb-beagle-flasher

and
sudo cp -v /etc/beagle-flasher/beaglebone-black-microsd-to-emmc /etc/default/beagle-flasher

Is my understanding correct?

Ok, I just download the image and flashed it to an SD card (16Gb) and it works fine on my BBB, well it boots. I have no display connected so can’t tell if the desktop is working correctly, but the image does boot.