How to port a program from Host to target(Beagleboard)

Hi there,

i am a little confused with porting a working program (RTKLIB GPS software) mentioned in http://www.rtklib.com/rtklib_beagleboard.htm.

Do i have to compile the program im intending to run in my host and then cross-compile to my target,if so how should i go about doing it.

The linux version im using is Ubuntu 11.10 on my board and its a newer kernel as compared to the kernel used in the website.

I need some direction where i can learn how to do cross-compiling and how would i ensure my working program on my HOST works exactly the same on my target board?

You don’t need to crosscompile rtklib. You can compile it directly on the bealgeboard.

1. Extract the *.zip in a folder of your choice (e.g. ~/rtklib)
  2. navigate to the folder ~/rtklib/app/
  3. there you find makeall.sh
  4. run the script with ./makeall.sh (you will propably have to use sudo…)

then it will compile all programs…

what you need is then found in the folder ~/rtklib/app/rtkrcv
rktrcv is the console-version of rtknavi, which means everything you can do and configure in rtknavi, you also can do in rtkrcv, only without the gui.
rtkrcv also is configured over a config file which will be created when you start the programm, BUT I would recommend that you use a windows-computer and start rtknavi and do all the configuration there, because it’s way easier. And if everything runs in windows, you export the configuration and copy it on the beaglebone. There you only have to change certain paths like collected gps-data, or which serial-port you are using, e.g. if you are connecting your novatel via usb, then you just change the config file from COM12 to /dev/ttyUSB0 or something like that…

if anything was unclear drop me a mail… I’m using my beaglebone as base station for my gps system, so I have pretty good knowlegde how to configure rtklib on my bleagle…

greets

I need some direction where i can learn how to do cross-compiling and how would i ensure my working program on my HOST works exactly the same on my target board?

I have a BeagleBoard-based writeup on using Eclipse to cross-compile here:

Using Eclipse to Cross-compile Applications for Embedded Systems

http://www.lvr.com/eclipse1.htm

Jan Axelson