How to remove Cloud9 - files from BBB

Hello,

how can I remove the files from Cloud9 completely from my BBB.

I have installed Debian on my BBB A6A 2GB and running out of space. I’ve already disabled Cloud9 and Bonescript with systemctl. Of course the files are still there.

dpkg - l cloud9 or apt-get remove cloud9 dosen’t work.

The files are in the /opt/ folder. Can I remove them directly from there?

Thanks!
Juergen

root@beaglebone:~# du -h /opt/cloud9/

58M /opt/cloud9/

root@beaglebone:~# du -h /var/lib/cloud9/

53M /var/lib/cloud9/

So this is a guess on my behalf but I’m betting a good bet. /opt/ is where the git was pulled to, and /var/lib is where it is run from. Opening cloud9 in the browser, and looking at the command prompt seems to confirm this.

So, if dpkg, and APT both have no clue about this, and you’ve disabled the service. I personally see no harm in using rm. I even ran “whereis cloud9” and nothing . . .

What all are you running that requires 1.7G space on the eMMC ?

Hello,

I have installed Debian on my BBB A6A 2GB and running out of space. I’ve already disabled Cloud9 and Bonescript with systemctl. Of course the files are still there.

This only lists packages matching cloud9 pattern. If you want to find which files were installed, use
dpkg -L

Also, you can use

sudo apt-get purge

Which is the same as remove, but also deletes the config files.

Regards,
John

Hello,

The files are in the /opt/ folder. Can I remove them directly from there?

man dpkg or dpkg —help will give you all the info you need.

Regards,
John

Erm… Debian?

I found the free space left on rootfs after an eMMC flash from BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.5-2014-05-14-2gb.img; apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get clean was 132628 blocks, 92% free. Trying to install the application (node-RED) I want to run and its dependencies failed with ENOSPC

Deleting the tmp files from the failed npm installs leaves me 30256 blocks free. Unusable. The node.js version on the Angstrom image is too old to support all the packages I want to use.

Max

Max, the reason why I ask is that I am running Debian too, and have a rootfs that is 191M ( Megabytes ) in size. This includes a few standard debian tools such as openssh-server, and then Nodejs + express + socket.io. With a basic Nodejs server example app I’m working on.

If you are really need the space, start out with the "console" flasher:

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#2014-08-19

(200MB)

Then:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nodejs nodejs-legacy npm

Regards,

John, there is no package. It is downloaded from git, compiled, and installed by hand.

If you are really need the space, start out with the “console” flasher:

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#2014-08-19

(200MB)

Then:

sudo apt-get update

Regards,

Not sure why npm is a separate package, unless this is a super old version of node. When you build from source npm is built and installed along with Nodejs( latest source ive built )

Now I’m getting really confused! I just followed the instructions on the ‘latest images’ page (http://beagleboard.org/latest-images). Do these apply only to rev C boards? It doesn’t say. I did look for more recent images, but I find the information on elinux.org to be terse and opaque to the point of impenetrability. These are testing images, so presumably not stable? Why am I still referred to the 2014-05-14 image if this is known not to work?

For my project, In addition to the standard OS & I need a node.js >= 0.10.22, plus bonescript (but used as a package, not as a server) gcc, libraries etc plus apache, but not cloud9, X-windows, or anything to do with video or sound. I have a rev C on back order, but I’d like to hope the rev B can be salvaged for this project.

Max

Not sure why npm is a separate package, unless this is a super old version
of node. When you build from source npm is built and installed along with
Nodejs( latest source ive built )

It's a debian thing.. Officially npm is "now" integrated into nodejs
download.. But in debian the nodejs package is built with npm disabled
and thus npm is packaged separately.

Regards,

For what it is worth to anyone else reading this. npm is the only package manage to use on ARM platform devices. As other package managers, namely nvm do not seem to do architecture checking / segregation.

Sorry not nvm, that would be the nodejs version manager. I can not think of the other semi popular node package manager that seemed to enjoy downloading i386 source onto my BBB a few months back.

John, there is no package. It is downloaded from git, compiled, and installed by hand.

I only mentioned that because he was using dpkg -l cloud9

Regards,
John

If you are really need the space, start out with the "console" flasher:

Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack Debian - eLinux.org

(200MB)

Then:

sudo apt-get update

Now I'm getting really confused! I just followed the instructions on the
'latest images' page (Latest Software Images - BeagleBoard). Do these apply
only to rev C boards? It doesn't say. I did look for more recent images, but
I find the information on elinux.org to be terse and opaque to the point of
impenetrability. These are testing images, so presumably not stable? Why am
I still referred to the 2014-05-14 image if this is known not to work?

"testing" =/= "unstable"

They are just snapshots of a continuously evolving "image".. At some
point, we will cut a new release based off these and then fully test
and put it on Latest Software Images - BeagleBoard

For my project, In addition to the standard OS & I need a node.js >=
0.10.22, plus bonescript (but used as a package, not as a server) gcc,
libraries etc plus apache, but not cloud9, X-windows, or anything to do with
video or sound. I have a rev C on back order, but I'd like to hope the rev B
can be salvaged for this project.

Okay, follow my previous instructs and add:

npm install -g bonescript --arch=armhf

Regards,

Max, you’re better off either starting with the console image Robert mentioned, or building your own from https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black#BeagleBoneBlack-RootFileSystem%28smallflash%29

Once you get the console image going, it is a simple matter of apt-get install

Wiiliam,

I am just this moment following the procedure Robert suggests, using the 2014-08-19 console image. I’ll dump a list of packages installed in the 2014-05-14 ‘full’ image installation before I re-flash it so I can compare what is in and what is not. I’m not in a position to build anything just yet - no free disc space!

Max

Robert,

Does this flasher not power down the Beaglebone when it’s done? It’s sitting there with all 4 user LEDS on at the moment

Max

Even using the console image Robert and I suggested, you’ll gain back a lot more space on the eMMC.

Also note that Roberts instruction for building from scratch / source is done on a PC and not the BBB. But is more complex, and does pretty much require Linux on that machine. I only mention this in case you’re thinking it has to be done on the BBB.

There is also another method for making your image smaller( without building from source ), but is complex and requires mix / matching files / directories from multiple sources. I’m still investigating this myself, so could not get into too much detail. Except that /var/modules is not fully populated in debian-7.5-bare-armhf-2014-07-07.tar.xz. So if you need specific modules . . .This could prove to be a minor pain in the butt at minimum. Systemd also lives in this directory.

Err, rather Systemd lives in /lib/