Idea for future revision

I (personally) would love to see the (believe its 7?) ADC pins from the twl4030 brought out to an expansion header on a future release of the board. Would really like the logic to be 5V but wouldn’t really care if there wasn’t any overload protection.

Sadly at the moment I’ve had to bolt an arduino to my beagle… at least they’re both opensource :slight_smile:

Two of these ADC pins are already used, so the most would be five. I will add your request to the list of ideas for the next revision.

Gerald

Gerald,

If not already on your list, please add the power saving features as
discussed on this forum
including options to shutdown RS232 converter chip and decreased the
LEDs current (higher value series resistors?)
(Maxim might have a chip with autoshutdown)
Can you put a camera signals on additional connector?

Regards

Jan

They are already on the list, but they will not be implemented as currently done. I have several issues with the way they are implemented in the discussion. I do not like the idea of getting lower power when everything is shut down. For example the TFP410 should be able to be powered down but keep the serial port active. I also do not like the idea of a powered down mode with no status LED. The power LED needs to be tied to a PWM signal off of the TPS65950 to show it is still active. The entire architecture will be looked at with a more power friendly concept in place, not just a bunch of mods. We had no plans when we started to focus on the lowest power footprint. We will take this concept into consideration.

It should also be noted that the next revision may look different that the current configuration, so these changes may not be applicable after other changes are made. The next revision is a long way away, most likely 6 months or more away.

Gerald

Another request -

It would be very nice if there is some simple way of disconnecting the power
lines on the EHCI connector from the Beagle power. Maybe just a trace or a
default shorted pair of pads on the top or bottom layer. This would be good
for seperating the USB host power domain from the board and would allow using
the EHCI port even if the Beagle itself is running off a lower voltage.

wishing time ;): any chance of camera pins being brought out?

Hunyue Yau said the following on 05/27/2009 09:22 AM:

I think it’d be best if we had a wishlist posted on the Beagle Wiki that our TI folks can consider for feasibility analysis for feature revisions.

What say?

No wish list. Just send me emails. I am not wanting to turn a $149 Beagle into a $1500 Beagle. I am not going to be open to making a lot of changes and as a result totally destroy the whole pricing model of the board. I don’t want to start a free for all of changes coming from everywhere.

Gerald

What if we split the beagle schematic into selectable pages. Then
when ordering a beagle, you might select the page with hdmi output, or
the one with a footprint for external ram etc...

Then also would need advanced software to autoplace and autoroute
everything and machines to pick and place them.. then you could have a
website with various options to choose from, and every beagle would be
custom, and each one a different price. Maybe this could exist in the
future.. I realize it isn't exactly feasible currently.

Sean

And then SolderItYourself Beagleboards?

Regards,

This is not how things work. The lead time would be 12 weeks on something like this. If the orders did not reach at least 1000 of these “Picky Beagles”, then the cost would be huge. It costs $400 just to setup the machine! Besides, leaving off any of these parts, assuming you want to keep the processor, would only save $10 at the most in parts for any one page. That cost savings would be wired out in the low volume.

I would love to see you hand solder a .4mm pitch BGA devise by hand along with the memory on top.

Gerald

hi,

I would like to have expansion header or data pins coming out for Qvga TFT LCD screen display on-board support and mic-in to be brought in the board.

Thanks and Regards,
HarishKumar.V

I think it would be good to have a power switch for the beagle instead of having to unplug the power cable

+1!

I am interested in all changes that do not affect the cost of the board and that add real value to the board.

The QVGA signals are already brought out on Rev C2 and C3 boards. Level shifters will add cost to the board, not to mention a major layout change to the board making it bigger. Both of these changes add cost.

The MIC also adds cost.

Gerald

Gerald Coley wrote:

This is not how things work. The lead time would be 12 weeks on
something like this. If the orders did not reach at least 1000 of these
"Picky Beagles", then the cost would be huge. It costs $400 just to
setup the machine! Besides, leaving off any of these parts, assuming you
want to keep the processor, would only save $10 at the most in parts for
any one page. That cost savings would be wired out in the low volume.
I would love to see you hand solder a .4mm pitch BGA devise by hand
along with the memory on top.

there is a much simpler solution, make a board that just has the OMAP3 and
brings out ALL the pins into a .1" spaced grid, then everybody can hand solder
whatever he wants to it :slight_smile:

Can you put pins on there too…? I’m not very good at soldering :o)

Ahh, if only thta would work. The power mangement is a little tricky. You need the PMIC as well.

Gerald

2009/5/27 Vladimir Pantelic <pan@nt.tu-darmstadt.de>

And I could come up with a couple of potential/possible Signal Integrity problems as well J

Søren

Signal integrity issues such as?

Gerald