Installing GNUPlot on BeagleboneBlack

Hi,

Can you guide me how to install GNUPlot on BBB? I’m running Angstrom (2013.09.04). This is the error I got:

root@beaglebone:/etc# opkg install http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/gnuplot_4.6.0-2_ar71xx.ipk
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/packages/gnuplot_4.6.0-2_ar71xx.ipk.
Unknown package ‘gnuplot’.
Collected errors:

• pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for gnuplot found, but incompatible with the architectures configured
  • opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package gnuplot.

root@beaglebone:~# uname -a
Linux beaglebone 3.8.13 #1 SMP Wed Sep 4 09:09:32 CEST 2013 armv7l GNU/Linux

Thanks in advance.

-Aswin

I am running wheezy on my black. If I remember correctly I just used the package manager to get gnuplot, octave and tools though I may have downloaded source and just compiles it. It has ben a while and I don’t exactly remember. I also loaded several different SDHC cards in my playing around.

bblack

"ar71xx" is a MIPS architecture, so that's the error you'd expect to
see on an ARM architecture.

Regards,

Thanks, I didn’t know that.
Is there a version of GNUPlot or any data plotting software written for ARM architecture?

Great! Thank you! I’ll install Wheezy and try again.

Yes - on Debian BBB, apt-cache search returns: apt-cache search gnuplot amanda-client - Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver (Client) amanda-server - Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver (Server) bonnie++ - Hard drive benchmark suite. cdck - tool for verifying the quality of written CDs/DVDs chiark-scripts - chiark system administration scripts circos - plotter for visualizing data collectl - Utility to collect Linux performance data ctioga2 - polymorphic plotting program devscripts - scripts to make the life of a Debian Package maintainer easier gausssum - parse and display Gaussian, GAMESS, and etc’s output gnuplot - Command-line driven interactive plotting program gnuplot-doc - Command-line driven interactive plotting program. Doc-package gnuplot-nox - Command-line driven interactive plotting program. No-X package gnuplot-qt - Command-line driven interactive plotting program. QT-package gnuplot-x11 - Command-line driven interactive plotting program. X-package gnuplot-mode - Yet another Gnuplot mode for Emacs jed-extra - collection of useful Jed modes and utilities libchart-gnuplot-perl - module for generating two- and three-dimensional plots libfinance-bank-ie-permanenttsb-perl - perl interface to the PermanentTSB Open24 homebanking libgraphics-gnuplotif-perl - dynamic Perl interface to gnuplot mathomatic - portable Computer Algebra System (CAS) libgnuplot-ocaml-dev - OCaml interface to the gnuplot utility plotdrop - A minimal GNOME frontend to GNUPlot libploticus0 - script driven business graphics library libploticus0-dev - Development files for the ploticus library ploticus - script driven business graphics package octave-plplot - Octave support for PLplot, a plotting library probcons-extra - Extra programs from the probcons package pstoedit - PostScript and PDF files to editable vector graphics converter python-gnuplot - A Python interface to the gnuplot plotting program pyxplot - data plotting program producing publication-quality output pyxplot-doc - documentation for pyxplot data plotting program rlplot - GUI application for generating publication quality graphs libgnuplot-ruby - Transitional package for ruby-gnuplot libgnuplot-ruby1.8 - Transitional package for ruby-gnuplot ruby-gnuplot - Ruby library to interact with gnuplot scidavis - application for scientific data analysis and visualization python-scitools - Python library for scientific computing stda - simple tools for data analysis (stda) tcptrace - Tool for analyzing tcpdump output texlive-pictures - TeX Live: Graphics packages and programs texlive-latex-extra - TeX Live: LaTeX supplementary packages

Wow! Thank you!

After bblack’s response I flashed BBB with Ubuntu 13.04 (BBB-eMMC-flasher-ubuntu-13.04-2013-10-08.img) and insalled GNUPlot using apt-get. It’s working like a charm. :slight_smile:
Now I need to install QT and write a function to call GNUPplot. I have only basic knowledge of Linux and programming and find this very interesting as well as challenging.

Thanks to all for your kind replies. :slight_smile: