Interfacing an ADXL345 to a BeagleBoard X15 - Hirose mating connector required?

No I didn’t need to provide anything else. I only ordered a PCB to be fabricated, not the complete assembly.

No worries - seems like EasyEDA allows me to export both items easily enough. Hopefully the fabricators won’t require anything else to complete assembly.

So are you needing the fabricator to pick, place and solder (flow oven for surface mount) the Hirose connector for you so that you receive a complete and ready to use adapter board?

The Hirose connector is “keyed” so it only goes on to the X-15 connectors in one orientation. However the loose Hirose connector can be soldered to the adapter board in both orientations although one will be wrong I believe.

The Hirose connector needs to be in the correct orientation to match up the X-15’s output pins with the adapter board’s configuration. I’m not sure if the files you’re able to get from EasyEDA cover that requirement.

I’m yet to work out which way round it goes before I solder one together, so just calling this out in case it’s not clear to you either.

Yeah - that’s a good point alright. I noticed that the connectors will only mate with the X15 connectors one way and not the other. I’m hoping that I can just label/mark one side of the Hirose connector so that it lines up with the X15 connector and ensures that it gets mounted correctly.

Using the schematics I think I’ve worked out the correct orientation to solder these connectors to the boards…

So you’d end up with it looking like this if it were mounted to P18…

Do you sell one ?

I have 10 PCBs and only need 8 at most. I have 5 Hirose connectors, but could spare 1 for now. So yes, I could sell up to 2 x PCBs and 1 x Hirose connector (you would need to solder this yourself).

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your answer. Where can I buy it ? How much ?

What specifically do you want to buy?

Options are:
1 x Loose Hirose connector that you can solder to the PCB
AND/OR
1 x PCB with no Hirose
OR
2 x PCBs with no Hirose

If you let me know then I can work out a cost. You will also need to let me know where you want this shipped to so I can work out costs for that too.

Feel free to message me directly if you like.

Thanks Tony - that’s helpful.

Just curious to know if you have any special plans for soldering those 0.8mm pins? Do you have a hot air station, rework oven or just a very steady hand?!

Unfortunately I don’t have a reflow oven, so will be attempting this by hand using my trusty soldering iron. I’ve done some very small pitch SMT before, but not as many pins!

Hey Tony,

I got some soldering help getting Hirose adapters and some female headers put on a couple of those PCBs:

The headers are on the underside to I should have full access to all the pins if I need it and just run male-male jumper wire to ADXLs, etc.

So thank you very much for bringing that board design to our attention - worked out really well!

Woohoo!!!

You’ve made great progress! Mine are still in pieces awaiting some free time to get soldering.

I too plan on using headers as you’ve done so I can use jumper wires to prototype with.

Hope your project goes well. Keep us updated!

FYI - working fine for first simple LED test: