Is bonescript compatible with node version >0.10.x ?

Hi,

I have Beaglebone black with Debian 8.3 (Kernel 3.8.x) running on it. I update NodeJS on the board to v0.12.13. I am trying to install bonescript again. But I am having build errors.
I also tried to install Bonescript with node v4.x and v5.x, but had same errors.
Is it possible to install Bonescript along with latest node js versions?

Error:

fibers.target.mk:94: recipe for target ‘Release/obj.target/fibers/src/fibers.o’ failed
make: *** [Release/obj.target/fibers/src/fibers.o] Error 1
make: Leaving directory ‘/usr/local/lib/node_modules/bonescript/node_modules/fibers/build’
gyp ERR! build error
gyp ERR! stack Error: make failed with exit code: 2
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onExit (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/build.js:276:23)
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:110:17)
gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (child_process.js:1078:12)
gyp ERR! System Linux 3.8.13-bone79
gyp ERR! command “node” “/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js” “rebuild”
gyp ERR! cwd /usr/local/lib/node_modules/bonescript/node_modules/fibers

Thank you,
Parth

install: bonescript@0.5.0-beta3

which works on v0.12.x..

Regards,

Any suggestions on getting node-red-node-beaglebone to work with bonescript-0.5-beta3? I’m thrilled that all the bonescript examples in cloud9 IDE now work (analogwrite, analogRead, digitalRead, digitalWrite, & attachInterrupt) without errors or spurious error messages, but the node-red-node-beaglebone npm install fails.

sudo su
cd /root/.node-red/
npm install --unsafe-perm --progress=false node-red-node-beaglebone

#issues:

i2c is broken...

gyp ERR! build error
gyp ERR! stack Error: `make` failed with exit code: 2
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onExit
(/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/build.js:276:23)
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:110:17)
gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit
(child_process.js:1078:12)
gyp ERR! System Linux 4.1.18-ti-r56
gyp ERR! command "node"
"/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js"
"rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd /root/.node-red/node_modules/i2c
gyp ERR! node -v v0.12.13
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.3.1
gyp ERR! not ok
npm WARN install:i2c@0.1.8 i2c@0.1.8 install: `node-gyp rebuild`
npm WARN install:i2c@0.1.8 Exit status 1

Regards,

Looking at my notes, upgrading to i2c@0.2.1 should fix that..

Regards,

Hi Robert,

Thanks you. I works perfectly with node v0.12.
I will try node v4.x/5.x also.

Thanks.

I believe bonescript needs a few more fixes for v4.x, that's one of the
reasons we only upgraded to v0.12.x

Regards,

Ok.

Thanks!

For me bonescript only works with node version 0.10!

root@arm:~# node -v
v0.10.32
root@arm:~# npm -v

v0.12.x support is in the 0.5.0 branch of bonescript.

Regards,

Are the nodejs and npm for ARM versions numbered differently? or are they really this far behind the x86 versions?

on Ubuntu 32-bit 16.04:
nodejs -v
v4.2.6

From what I gather, I’m new at the nodejs stuff, 4.4.3 is the “current” stable LTS version. I’ve no appreciation of the consequences of these version differences beyond some feature used in sample code not being available in the version I’m trying it on :frowning:

npm -v

For awhile 'nodejs' was stagnant (0.8.x/0.10.x era) then it got forked
around (0.12.x) and io.js came out, then io.js merged with nodejs... yada
yada things are moving fast now...

https://github.com/nodejs/LTS#lts_schedule

ReleaseLTS StartMaintenance StartLTS End
v0.10 (current) 2015-10-01 2016-10-01
v0.12 (current) 2016-04-01 2017-04-01
v4.2.0 2015-10-01 2017-04-01 2018-04-01
v.Next 2016-10-01 2018-04-01
For beagleboard.org we've moved from 0.10.x (which we shipped in wheezy) to
0.12.x in jessie just in the last month or to. We were unable to do the
full jump to v4.x at the time..

By mid summer (2016) i'd like us to be getting things read to move to
'v4.x' as 'stretch' will ship with that (unless they jump to the new v6.x
lts released this week)..

While "npm" is a separate project bundled with nodejs..

Regards,

Thanks for such a great answer and concise history of the issues!
At least we’re newer than Raspberry Pi2 Jessie that I installed yesterday which is still at 0.10.29 :slight_smile:

Playing with some code snippets I’ve found on-line, I’m starting to develop an appreciation for nodejs and think it’d be a way better choice for my newbie friend than python. Nodejs is very amenable to “cut-and-paste” programming where one finds an example that does something sorta like you want and then learn enough to modify it for your needs – very newbie friendly. Node-red graphical “flow” programming is even more newbie friendly when starting with an idea and a blank page.

Playing with some code snippets I’ve found on-line, I’m starting to develop an appreciation for nodejs. . .

Nodejs is actually a really good development platform. It’s really fast, and it being an event driven, object oriented platform. Thanks to Javascript. It is well suited for many tasks on any hardware platform.

The only real downsides is that Nodejs can have high latency at times, depending. Nodejs being based on javascript brings all the bad that is javascript, into Nodejs( there is still a lot of good too ). Then so many other things that it is hard to mention it all. Such as NPM, poor coding standards among those who demonstrate the language( Function chaining should be a hang-able offense - for starters ), and many others.

I just did this npm install after apt-get update and apt-get upgrade to be sure I had the latest everything.

It appears to have installed, with the same i2c errors (can live without i2c) you showed, but the “beaglebone” nodes still don’t show up after a reboot.
What am I missing?

The “your second flow” UK powergrid example works fine, I just don’t have the node-red-node-beaglebone nodes showing up in the left side pane.