Is there a way to add an animated boot logo for a Debian install on the BeagleBone Black?

I’m a little new to the process of working with embedded linux systems and I’m trying to make a project with the BeagleBone Black. I’ve looked around several different forums and I can’t seem to find anything in regards to an animated boot logo. If possible, I would like to replace the image of Tux during the BBB boot up process with a GIF. Is this possible with something like Plymouth? Do I need to get a Debian image that has a Graphical Desktop? I also want to try and see if I can get a quiet log-on where you don’t see any of the intro text:

My ideal process would be:

1. Power on with no command line text output
  2. Animated boot logo
  3. Silent logon with no command line text output
  4. Boot into a QT application

HI @Fishayyy ,

For a splash screen, plymouth is your best option.

You can nuke that text via:

/etc/motd

and

/etc/issue

adding ‘nologo’ to your boot args will nuke tux…

ps, after watching fosdom 2022, directfb2 might be a cool option too… https://directfb2.github.io/

Regards,

1 Like

Awesome, I’ll start looking through some of that and let you know if I have any issues. I see your name EVERYWHERE in the linux world so I’m glad to make first contact! Your work is phenomenal and I hope to learn a lot through using it.

BTW: I did notice the tux’s image show up as logo.gif in the kernel source’s in the documentation directory. (Updating the boot-up tux image is also on my long term to-do)

Are you referencing this?

Is that actually used to build the splash logo on the boot screen? Or is it just used somewhere in the process of making the documentation?

It popped up when I was browsing the source tree. It would not surprise me one tiny bit if the splash screen code referenced that image file in the documentation folder. Im still in the noob zone regarding this environment, but swapping out that file with a similarly sized image is one of the first things I’m going to tweak as I get comfortable rebuilding the kernel.