kernel compile results in no networks

Hi,

I’m a newcomer to kernel compilation. I had the latest Debian 9.5 2018-10-07 4GB SD LXQT installed on my BeagleBone Black Wireless.
Doing uname -r, I discovered that Kernel 4.14.71-ti-r80 is part of this Debian image.

I followed some instructions:
https://elinux.org/EBC_Installing_Kernel_Source

In a nutshell, the instructions state to do this on a Linux PC:

git clone https://github.com/RobertCNelson/bb-kernel.git

cd bb-kernel

git tag

I couldn’t find 4.14.71-ti-r80 in the tag list, but the latest in the list for release 4.14.71 seemed to be patch ‘bone17’, i.e:
4.14.71-bone17

So, I did:
git checkout 4.14.71-bone17 -b 4.14.71-bone17
./build_kernel.sh

A Kernel Configuration text window appeared partway, and I clicked on Exit as mentioned in the instructions, and ultimately everything compiled.
To copy it across to the BBB, I put the micro SD card into the Linux PC, edited the system.sh file to set MMC variable to point to the disk name (/dev/sdb in my case) and then typed
./tools/install_kernell.sh

All seemed to go fine, and I put it into my BBB-Wireless, and powered up.
My problem is, although it is running, I can only access it via the serial console pins (using a USB UART cable). There is no 192.168.7.0 network any more, nor is there any wlan any more. If I type ifconfig -a, all I see is interface ‘lo’.

I have two main questions.
Firstly, where did I go wrong? Should I have done something extra for BBB-Wireless?

Secondly, if I wanted to build the exact same kernel version as in the Debian 9.5 2018-10-07 4GB SD LXQT image, how do I know which tag to use? I presume the tag I used is not the same as 4.14.71-ti-r80

The reason I’m building the kernel, is as a test prior to attempting to build it with Xenomai patches (another thing I’ve never done before : (

Many thanks in advance for your help.

xenomai is already pre-built:

cd /opt/scripts/tools/
git pull
sudo ./update_kernel.sh --ti-xenomai-channel --lts-4_14

Regards,

This is awesome!

Thank you!

Hi Robert,

Sorry to ask one more related question, it concerns installing the remainder of Xenomai, to run a test program:

I’ve installed the Xenomi kernel as you described, and uname -a looks good:
Linux beaglebone 4.14.108-ti-xenomai-r114 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 4 08:52:45 UTC 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

(incidentally, just as an aside, this only worked on an original BeagleBone Black [well, a BeagleBone Black Industrial], and didn’t work on a BBB-Wireless. On the BBB-Wireless, it booted, but froze the board after about 20 seconds after boot (some LEDs permanently lit, but no more flickering LEDs, and the USB OTG disconnects, and serial console stops responding too). I tried rebooting a few times, and the same thing occurred. I’ve captured the var/log files here: https://bit.ly/2Mfav34 but it isn’t an issue for me, I’m happy using the BBB-Industrial, the Wireless isn’t essential for me. I did examine the log files though, in case I could spot the issue, but it wasn’t obvious what it could be).

Anyway, next, to get the remainder Xenomi stuff, I did the following (I presumed it was Xenomi 3.0.9, but I wasn’t sure, I did search in the github beagleboard/linux commits, but unfortunately couldn’t see where it was specified):

wget https://xenomai.org/downloads/xenomai/stable/latest/xenomai-3.0.9.tar.bz2

bunzip2 xenomai-3.0.9.tar.bz2

tar xvf xenomai-3.0.9.tar

cd xenomai-3.0.9

./configure CFLAGS="-march=armv7-a -mfpu=vfp3" LDFLAGS="-march=armv7-a -mfpu=vfp3"

make

make install

When I try to run any of the sample/test applications (such as /usr/xenomai/bin/xeno-test), I get an error:
BUG in __xenomai_init(): [main] running non-SMP libraries on SMP kernel?

I think I’m probably doing something silly, and have googled around, but need a pointer to where I messed up.
Sorry to be asking so many questions : (

Hi Robert,

Sorry to ask one more related question, it concerns installing the remainder of Xenomai, to run a test program:

I've installed the Xenomi kernel as you described, and uname -a looks good:
Linux beaglebone 4.14.108-ti-xenomai-r114 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 4 08:52:45 UTC 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

(incidentally, just as an aside, this only worked on an original BeagleBone Black [well, a BeagleBone Black Industrial], and didn't work on a BBB-Wireless. On the BBB-Wireless, it booted, but froze the board after about 20 seconds after boot (some LEDs permanently lit, but no more flickering LEDs, and the USB OTG disconnects, and serial console stops responding too). I tried rebooting a few times, and the same thing occurred. I've captured the var/log files here: Box but it isn't an issue for me, I'm happy using the BBB-Industrial, the Wireless isn't essential for me. I did examine the log files though, in case I could spot the issue, but it wasn't obvious what it could be).

Patches welcome, i don't personally support Xenomai..

Anyway, next, to get the remainder Xenomi stuff, I did the following (I presumed it was Xenomi 3.0.9, but I wasn't sure, I did search in the github beagleboard/linux commits, but unfortunately couldn't see where it was specified):

wget https://xenomai.org/downloads/xenomai/stable/latest/xenomai-3.0.9.tar.bz2

bunzip2 xenomai-3.0.9.tar.bz2

tar xvf xenomai-3.0.9.tar

cd xenomai-3.0.9

./configure CFLAGS="-march=armv7-a -mfpu=vfp3" LDFLAGS="-march=armv7-a -mfpu=vfp3"

make

make install

When I try to run any of the sample/test applications (such as /usr/xenomai/bin/xeno-test), I get an error:
BUG in __xenomai_init(): [main] running non-SMP libraries on SMP kernel?

I think I'm probably doing something silly, and have googled around, but need a pointer to where I messed up.
Sorry to be asking so many questions : (

--enable-smp

Regards,

That’s perfect, thanks!

The --enable-smp did the trick.

I’ve run some of the tests, and it looks good.