Kernel Config

What is the correct way to change just one item on a kernel config? First line of the file when you open it in nano says “DO NOT EDIT” and running “make config” seems like a lot of possible places to mess up. Is there another way to do it? All I want to do is set CONFIG_CIFS=y.

I’ve always used menuconfig when making changes, but I am sure there is a way to use diff, or something else to edit the file quickly. I guess we’re both about to find out shortly. If someone is kind enough to respond.

After trying to build a 3.12.0 kernel for funzies (and full of frustration) the gui that is built into Robert C. Nelson’s scripts to build the .config file is great. Does anyone know if the .config file that was made by that could be rerolled into an Angstrom kernel? Or can I use one of the prebuilt kernels in place of the factory Angstrom one? I am having a hard time with anything Angstrom all of the links I try to follow are broken. All I want right now is Angstrom with CIFS. Or Ubuntu/Debian that will actually connect to my WEP wifi.

After trying to build a 3.12.0 kernel for funzies (and full of frustration)
the gui that is built into Robert C. Nelson's scripts to build the .config
file is great. Does anyone know if the .config file that was made by that
could be rerolled into an Angstrom kernel?

This is the one that would have been used by angstrom in 3.12...

Or can I use one of the
prebuilt kernels in place of the factory Angstrom one?

I set this up so Angstrom 3.8 users can test 3.12:

wget http://rcn-ee.homeip.net:81/dl/jenkins/beagleboard.org/test-me.sh
chmod +x ./test-me.sh
/bin/bash ./test-me.sh

I am having a hard
time with anything Angstrom all of the links I try to follow are broken.
All I want right now is Angstrom with CIFS. Or Ubuntu/Debian that will
actually connect to my WEP wifi.

it's probably the hardware driver, which actual wifi hardware?

Regards,

Realtek RTL8188CUS. I can see my network with iwlist scan, but when i try iwconfig with the ubuntu or debian images I can not get the ssid to stay after reboot or the key to go in at all. Connman in Angstrom works fine.

I am reflashing the eMMC to factory Angstrom and can try 3.12. I am still trying to get my brain to wrap around how the kernel/rootfs work so I apologize for newbie questions, but can I just build a 3.8 from http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black#BeagleBoneBlack-LinuxKernel with a .config with only the couple of cifs changes and have it work in Angstrom?

Both "Angstrom" and ubuntu/debian are "linux", just as long as you
meet the systemd kernel .config requirements, it'll boot just fine..

Regards,

The way it looks in build_kernel.sh is that if i were to:
-rename defconfig to defconfig.bkup
-cp beaglebone to defconfig
-then run the build_kernel.sh and change the cifs options I would get a 3.8.12 kernel with only the one change.
Would I then just follow the boot partition portion of http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black#BeagleBoneBlack-SetupmicroSD/SDcard and after?

Alright, here is how I got CIFS to work on Angstrom:
-With Angstrom booted on eMMC I put mSD card with Robert Nelson’s Ubuntu image on it into mmc slot.
mkdir /mnt/sd1
mkdir /mnt/sd2
mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /mnt/sd1
mount /dev/mmcblk1p2 /mnt/sd2
cd /mnt/sd1
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x80008000 -e 0x80008000 -n kernel -d ./zImage ./uImage
cp uImage /boot
cp -r /mnt/sd2/lib/modules /lib/
depmod -a

Now I can mount folders on my Windows network with:
mount -t cifs -o username=“username”,password=“password” //server/share /mnt/directory