librobotcontrol support for newer boards

Preliminary librobotcontrol support for BeagleBone AI, BeagleBone AI-64 and BeagleV-Fire has been drafted, but it needs to be cleaned up. We can also work on support for Raspberry Pi if UCSD releases their Hat for it.

Goal: Update librobotcontrol for Robotics Cape on BeagleBone AI, BeagleBone AI-64 and BeagleV-Fire
Hardware Skills: Basic wiring, some DC motor familiarity
Software Skills: C, Linux
Possible Mentors: @jkridner, @lorforlinux
Expected size of project: 175 hours
Rating: Medium
Upstream Repository: BeagleBoard.org / librobotcontrol · GitLab
References:

4 Likes

@lorforlinux do we need to swap this on GSoC @ BeagleBoard.org — gsoc.beagleboard.io documentation with something with more mentor and contributor interest?

1 Like

Hello, can you share how can I start working on this project? What can be good first time issues to solve in this project.

gsoc.beagleboard.org maybe?

If you don’t have a board, maybe start by digging through the structure and what needs to be updated to be more Linux-generic and use header mapped I/O, rather than SoC-mapped. You can look at the work-in-progress branches to get an idea of what I mean and the blog posts and documentation on cape compatibility.

You can also look at what it would take to make Robotics Control Library — BeagleBoard Documentation to look more like Robot Control Library: Main Page.

3 Likes

It is mentioned that preliminary support for AI, AI-64 and Fire are given, I checked librobotcontrol/device_tree at master · beagleboard/librobotcontrol · GitHub and couldnt find any .dts files of these boards… I wanted which files haves to cleaned up.

Is it related to interfacing library with linux drivers.

Device tree sources are all at BeagleBoard.org / BeagleBoard-DeviceTrees · GitLab

1 Like

I’m a student and I’ll like to contribute to this project but I don’t own a board.