Linux HID Gadget Driver to emulate keyboard

I am using the 3.8.13-bone24 kernel (in Ubuntu) and trying to add keyboard emulation using hid.c. According to other forums, I need to add the structs found @https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/usb/gadget_hid.txt to hid.c, compile the modules, then insert the module using insmod or modprobe. I’ve done this (cross compiled on a x64 Mint15 host) ,but the problem I am having is that both insmod and modprobe error out with something like ‘error inserting module … no such device’ . I’ve ensured that the vermagic matches the kernel and have tried following several different examples of how to get this working. Unfortunately, I don’t think I have enough 'kernel knowledge" to pull together exactly what I need to do.

So, the basic question is: What are the steps to take to emulate a keyboard using the BeagleBone Black? I’m not locked into any particular OS or kernel version, I just need the Bone to act as a keyboard (although Ubuntu is preferred, simply due to familiarity). So, if any of you know how to do this in any other OS or kernel version, please do share.

Hi Steven,

I’m interested in the same thing but have not yet figured out how to do it. Did you find a way?

Regards
Felix