Machinekit image not seen on website

Hi I’m trying to flash a Machinekit image on my beaglebone black rev C. I can’t find any .xz file on Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack Debian - eLinux.org

Where can I donwload it?

Thank you,
Izzy

1 Like

Hello,

The machinekit images can be installed. I set up something a while back.

This was done about seven to 10 months ago. So, who knows if it is still relevant. But, you can try.

Seth

Hello Again @IzzyZul9 ,

Oh and…

If you are installing the packages and having issues b/c of specific packages that are expected but not installing them via apt or curl or however, there is a trick. Once the repos are installed and you use apt to update your system w/ Buster (so far and not Bullseye yet), try to read the output.

It usually is just a specific install that needs to take place.

Seth

P.S. So, basically erase all and start from number one. Get the curl installed repos erased and refresh. Then, try w/ the/that specific build of emcapplication and machinekit-hal. I will look into it again if you are not too bored by this idea. Maybe we can put it in the Bullseye distro from the .org?

Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply. I went ahead and installed everything as per your instruction. After everything was done, I did sudo apt update again and saw that c9-core-installer and machinekit-hal was upgradable.

debian@beaglebone:~$ apt list --upgradable
Listing… Done
c9-core-installer/unknown 3.1.5000.git20181017.2-0~buster+20200806 armhf [upgradable from: 3.1.5000.git20181017.1-0rcnee3~buster+20200306]
machinekit-hal/buster 0.4.21040-1.git21e4211e4~buster armhf [upgradable from: 0.4.20868-1.gitc2e248500~buster]

I got this after trying to upgrade them:

debian@beaglebone:~$ sudo apt upgrade
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Calculating upgrade… Done
The following packages have been kept back:
c9-core-installer machinekit-hal
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

Would this become a problem for me to continue?

Thanks again for your help!

@IzzyZul9 ,

Okay. Something has changed in their ranks, I guess. I will try to figure it out again.

Seth

P.S. Give me about three or four days of testing to get it up and running w/ Buster? Are you using Buster or Bullseye? Anyway, things built for me so far. I am on this section and updating/upgrading after installing the repos to build from currently: morsh/getting-startedTwo.md at main · silver2row/morsh · GitHub .

Um, so. Um, that again is a link w/ ideas. I am building the Bullseye version of it now. Let me try to reiterate the confusion of the build to get things going again. Oh! In another post!

@IzzyZul9 ,

Seth here. Hello! Welcome. Okay so, the idea is for Buster only. In that Morsh link located here, morsh/getting-startedTwo.md at main · silver2row/morsh · GitHub , use those exact ideas and the ideas found here. morsh/getting-startedTwo.md at main · silver2row/morsh · GitHub

The first link is for acquiring the repos. Each set of three lines is one command. So…

curl -1sLf
'https://dl.cloudsmith.io/public/machinekit/emcapplication/setup.deb.sh'
| sudo -E bash

This is one command and the other two commands are each only one command each. Does that make sense? No. Okay, use each curl command w/ the repos along w/ | sudo -E bash to complete the repo intake.

Then, we can finally build but first update. On Bullseye, machinekit-hal works but emcapplication is out for now for whatever reason.

Seth

P.S. I hope this helps. It is not my repos. in question here but I thought it would be fun a while back to venture into this machinekit.io realm of ideas.

And finally: sudo apt install machinekit-hal=0.4.20868-1.gitc2e248500~buster

@silver2row,

Hello again. I am using Buster. I’ll give this a try and let you know how it goes. Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Best,
Izzy

@IzzyZul9 ,

See in the above quoted text where it states the current installed versioning and the needed installed versioning…

Well, this is what I was discussing. You need to put in the exact versioning the system, Buster, is expecting.

This is why I added the install command to one of the last posts I made, i.e. sudo apt install machinekit-hal=0.4.20868-1.gitc2e248500~buster .

Seth

P.S. Also, if you need a GUI for MachineKit, then they also have the emcapplication instance based on Axis.

Hi @silver2row ,

Thank you for your help and patience for explaining to a newbie like me. So I installed the repos with the curl commands, updated and it still listed machinekit-hal as upgradable.

I installed machinekit using the sudo apt install machinekit-hal=0.4.20868-1.gitc2e248500~buster

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
machinekit-hal is already the newest version (0.4.20868-1.gitc2e248500~buster).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

and…

debian@beaglebone:~$ apt list --upgradable
Listing... Done
bb-usb-gadgets/unknown 1.20220112.3-0~buster+20220112 all [upgradable from: 1.20220106.0-0~buster+20220106]
c9-core-installer/unknown 3.1.5000.git20181017.2-0~buster+20200806 armhf [upgradable from: 3.1.5000.git20181017.1-0rcnee3~buster+20200306]
machinekit-hal/buster 0.4.21040-1.git21e4211e4~buster armhf [upgradable from: 0.4.20868-1.gitc2e248500~buster]

Does this mean I can assume it is installed and ignore the upgradable lists?

Thanks again!

Izzy

@silver2row ,

I realized it listed a different version and proceeded to install that. But like you said, that version of emcapplication was not found

Izzy

1 Like

@IzzyZul9 ,

Okay. I think I can try to explain a bit better. Please give me time to make sense out of what keeps happening on your side and what needs to happen when advancing the build.

So, I think the build needs to work w/ kernel 4.19.x thus far only. I say this b/c the machinekit-hal and emcapplication both work together from what I remember.

I am going to build it tonight on the machine, i.e. BBBlue to test. BBL!

Seth

P.S. Just as reminder…` if you cannot build and you update w/ apt before installations, then just erase the repos w/ " rm -rf all three repos " and then install before updating. Again, I will be building tonight on Fri. night!

@IzzyZul9 ,

Hey! I just figured I should share this idea w/ you: Cmake big redesign by cerna · Pull Request #349 · machinekit/machinekit-hal · GitHub .

I think testing this is a better way to deal w/ them, i.e. you know those people. Machinekit.io!

Seth

P.S. Anyway, I will test it too and return service once completed. I think the method I was describing changed in Dec. of last year. Things change!

@IzzyZul9 ,

Seth here. I am sorry. I just remembered something from the last time I started to use machinekit. I had some issues w/ my development desktop and could not figure out something.

This something was in relation to machinekit, .d files, and what .d files where on my Windows computer. I am going to have to bow out. I am sorry.

Seth

P.S. I hope you figure it out. It seems from what I read, machinekit is still building and working. I am just not going to find out just now or maybe ever.

Hello,

@IzzyZul9 , I am sorry. I tried my previous ideas for MachineKit and it damaged my system. I am not sure what to think now. It worked on WSL2 but not Debian. It said something in the output and then the system crashed.

My terminal was erased from the screen. Sorry.

Seth