MachineKit LinuxCNC on the BeagleBoard Black

I’ve created the MachineKit SD card image. Verified as non-corrupted. I’ve held down the Boot button and powered up the Beaglebone Black. I use PuTTY on WIN7 to connect. I log in as machinekit. Enter the same as password. And the system hangs there doing nothing else. Clearly it runs to a point since getting to the sign on point is at least a little bit successful.

login as: machinekit
Debian GNU/Linux 7

BeagleBoard.org BeagleBone Debian Image 2014-05-19

Support/FAQ: http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian
machinekit@beaglebone.local’s password:

Removing the SD card and booting from the eMMC I’ve still got my Angstrom image so the same approach does work so the hardware and connections are all ok.
login as: root
root@beaglebone.local’s password:
root@beaglebone:~# date
Sat Aug 16 12:58:47 PDT 2014
root@beaglebone:~# lsb_release -a
Distributor ID: Angstrom
Description: Angstrom GNU/Linux v2012.12 (Core edition)
Release: v2012.12
Codename: Core edition
root@beaglebone:~#

Don’t have the slightest idea where to even start since the image didn’t list a root password either. I am using only a 4GB SD card. Perhaps I should pick up an 8GB?
Thanks
John

Problem solved. My ViewSonic Monitor didn’t wake up properly to the HDMI signals so it appeared like the BBB wasn’t running the graphic interface. Logging in with PuTTY did work after entering a null password the first time. Then it accepted the “machinekit” password and gave the illusion it was working. The Angstrom image did work but only by chance I think. Power cycling created the proper signals to wake up the display. The next HDMI monitor won’t be a ViewSonic.
With the HDMI display, Mouse and Keyboard it’s all working now.