Makefiles and Cross-Compiling: A few questions

Hi there

I am quite new to Makefiles, Linux, cross-compiling, etc. and was wondering if you could give me a hand.

1. I have a relatively large code which compiles perfectly fine inside the Beaglebone Blue. However, it takes quite some time. Can I compile it on my Windows WSL Ubuntu 20.04 LTS? I use the #include <robotcontrol.h> library. What would be the steps?

2. After cross compiling, how would I upload the code to the board “securely”? I’ve read something with like ssh or something like this?

3. I’d like to organise my code a bit better, eg. having scr folder, include folder, probably object folder, and somefolder where it outputs the executable like “bin” and so on. At the moment I have this makefile which I took from one of the templates. What would I need to modify on it?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

All the best!
Oscar

Not exactly sure why, but this one now works as expected.

Hi

Just a quick update on my progress. I’ve managed to be almost where I want. I added everything to folders src and inc, did a few changes on the Makefile as well as on includes (#include <> rather than " ") and its working… :slight_smile: The only thing left is for the objects to go to another folder, say obj. I couldn’t find how to do this so for the moment I added a rule at the end that deletes all the objects from the src folder after the executable is generated.

Here is a screen shot of my Makefile now. Would appreciate if anyone can tell me what little change I can do to put the obj elsewhere, though I don’t think I even need them. :smiley:

For the time being, I’m gonna consider this done, but please do let me know if you have a more appropriate solution.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for my other 2 points!

All the best!
Oscar