Maximum voltage range -- beaglebone revA5 power supply.

High, all.
Do you know the input voltage the beaglebone Rev A5 can tolerate?
Has anyone tried voltage above 5V or it is sure it will burn?

5.2V is the max. Go past that and bad things will happen. USB is 5.2V max. Plug in something higher than that and the board will not power up. It should not burn up, just won’t power up. Now if you put 100V on it, all bets are off.

Gerald

5.2V is the max. Go past that and bad things will happen. USB is 5.2V max. Plug in something higher than that and the board will not power up. It should not burn up, just won’t power up.

Ok got it.

Now if you put 100V on it, all bets are off.

Hahaha, thank you.

Damn. The cheap little power supply I wanted to use is 2.5A… but it’s running high, at 5.5V.
So far, my attempts to load it down have failed. Looks like I need a 0.4V drop.
A couple of germanium diodes with a resistor in parallel should do.
Any recommendations for a quick voltage drop?

– Alan Campbell

Just dug into this… My notes:

BBB Power:
No onboard input voltage regulation! Input jack connects directly to TPS65217C PM IC.

From tps65217c.pdf:

And if you go to 6V, it will blow up the power control switch for the USB host, rated at 5.5VDC maximum.

Gerald

I see the TPS2051 in the USB Host section of the schematic, but it is fed from SYS_5V. Isn’t that after the TPS65217C shuts everything off when the input voltage exceeds an average of 6V?

I guess if you’re being absolutely proper, the 2051 says 6.0V absolute max and the 65217 says it limits to a max of 6.4V even though 6.0V is typical.

But the 2051 says output voltage range is -0.3 V to V(IN) + 0.3 V, so the internal transistor must be able to handle at least 6.3V… And I’d be amazed if they couldn’t handle far more unless they are trying to feed a current overload - from which they should protect themselves. Seems like since these are both TI products, they’d be designed to work together?

So my real question - do you actually see these frying in the real world?

The TPS65215C passes what ever voltage is supplied to it out heat pin as long as it is not over 7.2V, which is mote than 5V. So, while the TPS65217C can run at 6V, the TPS2051 cannot,.

Gerald

Trying to understand this… It seems you are saying the default state of the TPS65215C is to have the AC pin internally connected to the USB pin. But the datasheet says:

Yes, we test the TPS2051 every time we test a board. It is standard practice. And we have gotten very god at replacing them when the use connects 6V to them because they don’t read the manual or the label on the connector…

Gerald