Minimal boot sequence for the OMAP3530?

Hi

It looks like most development (& questions) here are related to Linux but I hope someone can help anyway :slight_smile:

I have a small OS running on Atmel AVR32 which I'd like to port to the OMAP.

But I'm really having problems with TI's documentation, ie. the 3530 page TRM. OK, so the chip is slightly more powerful :slight_smile: but still...

I'm looking for the bit where it says "to get the OMAP up and running you need to do this:

1. wait for the voltages to settle
2. write to the xxx registers to configure the master clock
3. write to the yyy registers to power up the subdomains you need and start their clocks
4. Write to the zzz registers to configure the memory access conditions
5. Set the stack pointer to..."

etc

Does that exist? I've read hundreds of pages about cold/warm reset domains, power domains, subdomains, clock subsubdomains etc and still don't know what I'm actually supposed to do.

Is there some special key to understanding TI documentation that I'm unaware of?

Thanks,

colin

Hi,

I’m looking for the bit where it says "to get the OMAP up and running you need to do this:

1. wait for the voltages to settle
  2. write to the xxx registers to configure the master clock
  3. write to the yyy registers to power up the subdomains you need and start their clocks
  4. Write to the zzz registers to configure the memory access conditions
  5. Set the stack pointer to…"

etc

Does that exist? I’ve read hundreds of pages about cold/warm reset domains, power domains, subdomains, clock subsubdomains etc and still don’t know what I’m actually supposed to do.

Why not look at the x-loader source code? In the common use case where you are running Linux it often is the first code that runs (other than the ROM code) so it has to configure all that.

Is there some special key to understanding TI documentation that I’m unaware of?

Reading it again and again seems to help for me. :slight_smile:

• Juha

Hi, Howarth:
As Kuikka mention, it is good to look at x-load source directly. Also you can get initialization sequence from technical document for DM37x Multimedia Device Silicon Revision 1.x, you can download it from TI’s website. :slight_smile:

If you want to get brief boot introduction of beaglaboard-xm, you can look at my recent post: http://lukejin.wordpress.com/2011/02/22/beagleboard-xm-research1-initialization-x-load/, I am also newbie for beagleboard-xm. hope it can help you. :slight_smile:

Ken

2011/2/22 Juha Kuikka <juha.kuikka@gmail.com>

Thanks Ken,

In the meantime I’ve also taken Juha’s advice to read the TI docs again and again.

On one of these passes I noticed a chapter called “Initialization”. :slight_smile: It is, of course, the very LAST chapter.

Then, also, there are the ARM docs – Cortex-A8 TRM and ARM Architecture v7-A Reference Manual…

I still find the idea of reading someone’s code in order to understand the documentation quaint. I thought I’d be reading the documentation in order to understand how to write the code… :slight_smile:

• colin