MySQL & Pysql on Beaglebone Black

Trying to transfer some code from an Rpi to Beaglebone black. This code uses mysql to store and retrieve temporal data, and to keep history. In order to get a working database on the black, I had to load both Mysql and Maria db in order to get a working system. Research on the internet does not give any definitive install instructions for either database. Having a working data base, I then tried to access it from a python program, using pysql installed with pip. Trying to connect to the database I get:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/var/lib/cloud9/python/dbtest.py”, line 37, in
Run_first()
File “/var/lib/cloud9/python/dbtest.py”, line 6, in Run_first
db = pymysql.connect(‘localhost’,‘Remote1’,‘’,‘Battery1’)
TypeError: init() takes 1 positional argument but 5 were given

If one checks the .connect structure in the pysql module using the help() function, it takes many more than 5 variables, most of which are optional.

Program code:

Load from datbse on power up

db = pymysql.connect('localhost','Remote1','','Battery1')
csr1 = db.cursor()
sql = """SELECT * FROM tempdat WHERE x_key = 1 ;"""

try:
    rsql=csr1.execute(sql)
    rsql_dt = csr1.fetchall()
    print(1094,rsql_dt[0])
except Exception as e:
    print("first",e)
    db.close()
    return()

using python running in terminal window, it was discovered that the added variable was ‘debian’@‘localhost’ as user, which mysql was not configured to accept.
Has anyone got this working?
I don’t particularly want to change all the code for sqlite3, as the changes are significant.

debian@beaglebone:/var/lib/cloud9$ mysql --version
mysql Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.3.36-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnueabihf (armv7l) using readline 5.2