NAND flash extender board?

I'm trying to prototype some firmware using the BB that needs a large'ish amount of NAND Flash (8/16GB). Is anyone aware of a breakout/proto board that would enable me to add TQFP stlye packages with relative ease?

Assuming this can be done at a hardware level, I'd guess U-Boot would then need to be adjusted to suit?

Has anyone else done this and willing to share notes?

Many thanks

Jerry

We have one in development but it will be several weeks before anything is available. It should go to layout tomorrow.What sort of NAND Flash are you looking for?

Gerald

Hello Gerald

1) Does Beagleboard have GPMC bus routed to some connectors?
2) All NAND chips in TSOP package are 3.3V. Beagleboard
(omap3530/dm3730 is only 1.8V compatible)

BeagleBone has GPMC signals routed to the connectors. The other two do not.

Memory expansion cannot be provided via GPMC on the BeagleBoard and BeagleBoard-xM. It can on the BeagleBone.

Gerald

We can actually build any package there is for the BeagleBone. We plann eventually to support every type there is. For the record the only way to add NAND to the BeagleBoard or the BeagleBoard-xM is via the USB port or the SD slot.

Gerald

Hello Gerald

Yes you can simply plug in a 8G or 16G SD card and get a lot of additional flash

Gerald

Hi Gerald

It is for the BeagleBone.

It will support memory modules that can be made to plug into it. It can support any memory configuration for NAND or NOR. Which comes first, second, or third will depend on the interest we see for a particular flavor of Flash and what that configuration may end up being. Hence my question to you as to what specifically you would be looking for, providing you the first spot in line to place your requirement in the list of possible implementations…

Gerald

Hello Gerald,

Yes. It is in layout. Only module under development is eMMC. Future modules will depend on the decisions we make based on perceived interest in specific devices.

Most likely we are 8 weeks out at the best on production units. No SW will be provided for the initial units. These are initially Flash development vehicles and only HW is provided fro people ot create their own drivers…

Gerald

Is the eMMC hooked to MMC1 pins that are used for booting (with
resistor mods)?
Can you give specifics on which eMMC parts that will be used?

And the money question: Do the eMMC parts have public datasheets?
:slight_smile:

-Andrew

Is it possible to obtain schematics or a BOM?

Many thanks

Jerry

No. I don’t give out schemtics and BOMS on things that are not tested.

Gerald

Hello Gerald

The board will be able to carry any size and type part you want. That assumes that the memory module is designed to facilitate that particular device.

The eMMC module we are doing is the first module and is loaded with 2GB devcie. But, the module could be loaded with up to 16GB by mounting the appropriate chip on the module.

Gerald

Hello Gerald

The board will be able to carry any size and type part you want. That
assumes that the memory module is designed to facilitate that particular
device.
The eMMC module we are doing is the first module and is loaded with 2GB
devcie. But, the module could be loaded with up to 16GB by mounting the
appropriate chip on the module.

OK. That's great. Loathe though I am to admit it I am not familiar with eMMC. From my brief pass across the Samsung site it looks like that implies BGA packaging. Would this be correct?

Is there seating for multiple eMMC packages? If I buy the 2GB board can I also glue in a 16GB part?

Finally, will these work as boot devices? Again not familiar enough with the 35XX architecture to know what is possible in this respect.

If this was a Ferrari auto show I'd be putting down a deposit. Please let me know if something analogous is possible for the NAND board.

Thanks for your help

Jerry.

eMMC is SD. They are the same, except eMMC allows for 8b wide instead of 4 bit wide bus. That means they are twice as fast, Plus, they always have the same controller inside and the same memory so no weirdness like you get with SD card. Yes, they are BGA packages.

There is only one slot on th eboard for one module at a time. Each module can support one eMMC module. They don’t like sharing the same signals.

Yes they will work as boot devices. That is the main point here. eMMC is a NAND device. It is sometimes called Managed NAND.

The modules can be 8 or 16b wide NAND, NOR Flash, or even SPI Flash, all of which can be used as boot devices on the AM335x.

Gerald

Gerald,