No server at 192.168.7.2, ping there times out, disk mount O.K., what gives?

Trying to get BBB on the air via USB using MacBook Pro OS X 10.8.4 without success.
Connected O.K. – LEDs flashing nicely and BEAGLEBONE disk mounts and is accessible on my desktop.
Installed derivers for Mac OS X from the BEAGLEBONE disk. No errors.
No server response from 192.168.7.2
No response to ping of same address

Ran shell script patch included in FTDI directory (do_patch.sh)

Searched FAQs
Nothing relevant found

Advice?

In addition:
My Network Preferences panel shows an entry for BeagleBone as a modem but there does not seem to be a way to make it connect. I found a suggestion to treat the BBB as a GPRS-type phone and tried to configure it that way but no joy.

Trying to get BBB on the air via USB using MacBook Pro OS X 10.8.4 without
success.
Connected O.K. -- LEDs flashing nicely and BEAGLEBONE disk mounts and is
accessible on my desktop.
Installed derivers for Mac OS X from the BEAGLEBONE disk. No errors.

Ran shell script patch included in FTDI directory (do_patch.sh)

Searched FAQs
Nothing relevant found

Advice?

Read the tiny little business card *manual* in the box that tells you
to open START.htm and follow the instructions. You need to install
the RNDIS driver to see the network connection. I run OS X 10.8.4
every day and it works beautifully.

Thanks very much for the guidance.
I did as you suggested but I still cannot ping the device or open the webserver page at the specified address (192.168.7.2).
In network preferences after the board boots I see this:
NetworkPreferences.tiff

The Mac is seeing the BBB as a modem. I have tried a variety of modem settings but still no joy.

RIC

Add a new network device and see if BeagleBoneBlack is an option. It should show as an Ethernet connection, not a modem/serial port connection.

If you want to use the serial port connection, you can get a terminal up that way too, but it won’t help you with the web browser interface.

NetworkPreferences.tiff (94 KB)

I had the same issue. My user account on my MBA13 10.8.4 is a standard user (i.e., non-root).

So I logged in as root (Admin user), and plugged in the BBB, installed the drivers. It worked.

Logged out, rebooted the BBB, and now the USB connection is recognized as USB Ethernet.

I would guess that one of the PRE or POST install scripts requires root privileges to run, and wrapping it in sudo or asking for permissions instead of silently failing is preferable.

cheers

-chris

How was this resolved? I think I am running into the same problem. I just got my BeagleBone Black Rev C and tried installing the drivers on OSX 10.9.3. Installation of the drivers went fine but I couldn’t connect to http://192.168.7.2. I went to my Network Preferences and saw there were a bunch of BeagleBone entries but all were modem connections. I removed them all. When I go to add a new interface I see a bunch of entries for beaglebone including BeagleBoneBlack (en5), BeagleBoneBlack (usbmodem1d113), and BeagleBoneBlack (usbmodem1d111) (usbmodem1d111). I assume I don’t want the usbmodem ones so I try selection BeagleBoneBlack (en5) and clicking create, but nothing happens, no new interface is created. Any ideas?

I ended up figuring out what was wrong. I had to follow the
directions on http://joshuawise.com/horndis under "Notes about
Mavericks". After following those instructions and then uninstalling
horndis and reinstalling everything worked.

Ryan Baxter, thanks so much for coming back to report on what worked for you.