Node-webkit+ bonescript

Hello,

Node-web kit and bonescript are two projects that match my skill sets. I don’t have much experience working with node.js but working with javascripts and jQuery have been one of my strong skills. I am familiar with some of the great features that node.js provides towards networking applications, that’s why I got attracted towards it.

Node-webkit project seems to me more challenging as there are more hidden and definitely learning objects. How the SD card images will be discovered and transferred are really challenging, and this would be my first preference. Can you elaborate SD card image procedures a bit more? What I perceived is that there should be a functionality to update the boot image both over Internet and a USB flash device. Is that the case?

Regards,
Junaid

Hello,

Node-web kit and bonescript are two projects that match my skill sets. I don’t have much experience working with node.js but working with javascripts and jQuery have been one of my strong skills. I am familiar with some of the great features that node.js provides towards networking applications, that’s why I got attracted towards it.

If you aren’t that familiar with node.js, maybe you’d be better improving GitHub - beagleboard/bone101: Web-hosted documentation on BeagleBone enhanced with BoneScript and live-running tutorials. There’s a certain amount of physical wiring-up of electronics required, but the coding has less of a dependency on OS-platform-specific-stuff and solving issues around node.

Node-webkit project seems to me more challenging as there are more hidden and definitely learning objects. How the SD card images will be discovered and transferred are really challenging, and this would be my first preference. Can you elaborate SD card image procedures a bit more?

The best starting point for writing the images is GitHub - ungureanuvladvictor/BBBlfs: Flash your BeagleBone Black via USB. You can read how it is done today at Getting Started - BeagleBoard | How do I start using my board?. With BBBlfs you’d be able to bootload the board using USB and load an image to write to the on-board eMMC.

What I perceived is that there should be a functionality to update the boot image both over Internet and a USB flash device. Is that the case?

It isn’t a simple USB flash device. You have to bootload some code over USB to the BeagleBone and then have that code write the image you stream over. Using Linux to do the writing is probably the easiest way, but you could also imagine other ways to expose the eMMC for writing by the host.

Hello,

I have submitted first draft of Bonescript proposal. I am sharing the proposal here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6jQCbltEmqGTklHUklBbmxSLUU/edit?usp=sharing. I still have some confusion in reading and writing I/Os through the social networking sites, like Facebook, Twitter etc. What will be the procedure behind it? By googling around, I came to know that there are social networking APIs, like Facebook SDK. Using them, I think I/Os can be configured. Let me know if the procedure is different.

Junaid

Hello,

I have submitted first draft of Bonescript proposal. I am sharing the proposal here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6jQCbltEmqGTklHUklBbmxSLUU/edit?usp=sharing. I still have some confusion in reading and writing I/Os through the social networking sites, like Facebook, Twitter etc. What will be the procedure behind it?

See http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktdr1RHF-Ls

The examples can show how you can collect data and use the public APIs to authenticate and send information to Twitter, Facebook, etc.

By googling around, I came to know that there are social networking APIs, like Facebook SDK. Using them, I think I/Os can be configured. Let me know if the procedure is different.

That’s it. The procedure should be broken into interactive, well-documented tutorials that enable users to start posting data they collect to these networks and react to online posts as well.

Great, I have figured out libraries for the social network APIs. These have been vital addition to the proposal. I was previously thinking of developing automated tests using selenium for the web pages. But apparently, it looks a bit unclear as I am not sure whether bonescript returns success and error messages or not. What do you say over it?

Junaid

Great, I have figured out libraries for the social network APIs. These have
been vital addition to the proposal. I was previously thinking of developing
automated tests using selenium for the web pages. But apparently, it looks a
bit unclear as I am not sure whether bonescript returns success and error
messages or not. What do you say over it?

The function calls don't *return* anything useful, but the callbacks
are objects that might contain an 'err' member that would contain a
message if anything went wrong.

Ok, so these err members can help in determining whether automated tests passed or failed.

Another question, are there any mockups for designing UserInterface? As per modern UI specs, the web pages must be responsive. So I’ll be using bootstrap for ensuring responsiveness. The other requirement of the project is interactivity. So what I see here is that, initially wire frames will be developed in the pre coding phase and they will be shared with the mentors. Once consensus is reached over wire frames, only than they’ll be translated into UI.

Junaid

Ok, so these err members can help in determining whether automated tests passed or failed.

Another question, are there any mockups for designing UserInterface? As per modern UI specs, the web pages must be responsive. So I’ll be using bootstrap for ensuring responsiveness. The other requirement of the project is interactivity. So what I see here is that, initially wire frames will be developed in the pre coding phase and they will be shared with the mentors. Once consensus is reached over wire frames, only than they’ll be translated into UI.

Some other students looking at this project have written up some mockups for which I’ve given some feedback.

Hello,

I am sharing one of the mockup that I have created for LED array (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6jQCbltEmqGb3p3cXdYb00teFU/edit?usp=sharing). Kindly let me know about your feedback.

Regards,
Junaid

Hello,

I am sharing one of the mockup that I have created for LED array
(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6jQCbltEmqGb3p3cXdYb00teFU/edit?usp=sharing).
Kindly let me know about your feedback.

That's kinda handy, but it is a visualization for a very specific
tutorial. I would spend more effort on mockups for the tutorials
overall.

Yes, its one of the basic mockups. Basically, it would be a step by step interactive tutorial that takes a novice user from led blinking to advanced A/D operations.

Hello,

Regarding the mockups, I had carried out some research. Some of the plugins that I have found for lister below.

For temperature sensing, we ca use jTherm thermometer bar graph for displaing temperature reading.
http://www.jlion.com/Tools/jTherm.aspx

Regarding motor operation, I think of representing this with some wheel rotation over UI interface. Some jquery plugin from here might work

http://www.jquery4u.com/plugins/5-jquery-spinrotate-image-plugins-demos/

What do you say about it?

Regards,
Junaid

Hello,

Regarding the mockups, I had carried out some research. Some of the plugins that I have found for lister below.

For temperature sensing, we ca use jTherm thermometer bar graph for displaing temperature reading.
http://www.jlion.com/Tools/jTherm.aspx

Regarding motor operation, I think of representing this with some wheel rotation over UI interface. Some jquery plugin from here might work

http://www.jquery4u.com/plugins/5-jquery-spinrotate-image-plugins-demos/

What do you say about it?

I think the designs look useful. Be sure to indicate the license for any software component you intend to include. An open source license is required.

Yes, its one of the basic mockups. Basically, it would be a step by step
interactive tutorial that takes a novice user from led blinking to advanced
A/D operations.

What is the advantage of doing *that* in an app vs an on-line tool
like codecademy.com? I've started some tutorials there, but haven't
gotten them to the point I'm ready to publish them.

By developing web pages, we will be creating an example working set of web pages that allows executing it in real time. I am thinking of an interactive web server that runs over the beaglebone board and allows performing controlling and sensing operations. The value that an example app provides is practical user experience which will be missing in a tutorial.

I think a tutorial along with the a web example will be an ideal choice. What is your opinion about it?

Regards,
Junaid

By developing web pages, we will be creating an example working set of web
pages that allows executing it in real time. I am thinking of an interactive
web server that runs over the beaglebone board and allows performing
controlling and sensing operations. The value that an example app provides
is practical user experience which will be missing in a tutorial.

I think a tutorial along with the a web example will be an ideal choice.
What is your opinion about it?

Certainly, which is why I consider bone101 the starting point, such
that you can learn about doing physical computing like this:

Cool!!

I have arranged one beaglebone black board from one of my friends. I am looking forward to have some experimentation.

Junaid.

Hello,

Are you looking further for a tutorial for mobile users after the web tutorials? Some kind of mobile apps can do that job. I know it would be early as web based tutorials should be the first thing to go with.

It would be interesting to know if there’s any free online tools just like codecademy for mobile platforms.

Regards,
Junaid